Having a consistent water pH is essential for the overall quality and safety of your water. However, many homeowners often encounter issues with low water pH, which indicates acidity in the water. When water’s pH is lower than 7, it’s acidic, while alkaline water has a pH higher than 7, reaching up to a pH of 14.
Table Of Contents−
- Best well water neutralizer in the market today
- Why Worry About Acidic Water?
- Neutralizing Acids: Top Solutions
- Key Considerations When Buying an Acid Neutralizer
- Final Thoughts
If you’ve detected that your well water’s pH is on the lower side, it’s a sign you might need an acid neutralizer. Here’s a comprehensive review and guide to help you pick the best solution for your needs, making sure you get optimal value for your investment.
Best well water neutralizer in the market today
Our top picks for well-water neutralizers are based on the above factors.
SpringWell Calcite pH Neutralizer
Calcite Neutralizer from Springwell is among the high-capacity equipment that works well in deep wells. Best of all, it has a high-water output, is simple to set up, and is built to last. Because of its huge storage capacity, it is also effective for use in shallow groundwater.
It has a built-in auto-backwash function that can be managed via the Bluetooth-enabled control head. This system is suitable for homes of any size. Most notably, it reduces the acidity of well water, which typically has a pH between 6.0 and 6.5. It neutralizes the pH of the water, making it drinkable.
- The flow rate of 12 GPM
- Ideal for the 6 to 6.5 pH range
- With auto backwashing capability
- Convenient; has smartphone connectivity and in-app control
- With a lifetime warranty and a money-back guarantee for the first 60 days
- Not ideal for small homes
- Needs periodic backwashing
- Not compatible with water with below 6 pH
SoftPro pH Neutralizer Calcite Water Filter
If the volumetric flow rate is your primary concern, we recommend SoftPro’s pH Neutralizing Filter. It’s perfect for replacing slower-flowing calcite filter cartridge filters in larger houses, with flow rates of up to 15 GPM. This neutralizer is compatible with well water between the pH of 5.5 to 6.5. You can choose between three sizes – 1.5, 2, or 2.5 cubic feet.
It can transform water with high acidity into a substance with the same feel as soft water. As water enters the tank, it dissolves the calcium carbonate in the calcite media bed, achieving the desired effect. Increasing the pH level in this way is also known as neutralizing water because of its effect on the pH scale.
- Somewhat affordable
- With a built-in backwash mechanism
- With a 7-year warranty and 6-month satisfaction guarantee
- Comes with a valve for adjusting backwash duration and rinse cycles
- Requires periodic backwashing
- Not ideal for a pH of less than 5.5
- Has reported minor issues with water flow
- Professional help may be needed for the installation
Fleck 2510 SXT pH Neutralizer
The Fleck 2510 can lower pH and remove sediment and sand that could otherwise clog pipes and cause extensive damage. The Fleck 2510 SXT pH Neutralizer has an electronic control center system that can be easily programmed to run backwash cycles without effort.
After doing so, it will automatically save your preferences, so you won’t have to enter the same data repeatedly. The system has a memory backup that works even if the power goes out.
Two sizes are available, with the larger one treating water with a pH between 5.5 and 6.9, making it suitable for use in even the largest of households. The system has a low total cost of ownership due to its low annual electricity consumption (less than $3.00).
There’s a lifetime guarantee on the tank itself, plus 5-year guarantees on the valve and electronics and 1-year guarantees on everything else.
- Free delivery
- Has backwashing capability
- Ideal for water pH ranging from 5.5 to 6.5
- Durable; made of non-corrosive, fiber-reinforced polymer
- Occasional backwashing may be required
- Not compatible with major pH problems
- The control valve only has a 5-year warranty
APEC Water WTS-MAX-15 Heavy Duty Whole House Water Purification System
APEC Water WTS-MAX-15 filter’s superior functionality is a major factor in its status as the market leader. This 2-stage filter will remove any hardness from the water, even if it’s less than 25 grains per gallon. To remove pollutants like chloramines that traditional activated carbon filters have trouble with, the Whole-House-Max 15 System employs cutting-edge catalytic carbon.
Furthermore, it effectively removes many chemical and organic impurities in water, such as chlorine, volatile organic compounds, and unpleasant odors. To further improve efficiency, this filter can automatically clean itself and perform a backwash.
- Fully automated
- Does not need maintenance
- Comes with salt-free softener
- Can handle 3-6 residential bathrooms
- Self-cleaning and automatic backwash capability
- With a programmable control valve that saves settings
- Not affordable
- Requires time to assemble
Why Worry About Acidic Water?
Acidity in well water can be problematic for many reasons. From causing residue accumulation in plumbing to affecting appliances like dishwashers, high acidity can damage both equipment and health.
Neutralizing Acids: Top Solutions
- Caustic soda and soda ash: Effective for water pH between 5.0 and 5.5.
- Calcite: Neutralizes acidity effectively using calcium carbonate derived from marble.
- Magnesium oxide: Can treat acidic water but might be abrasive in certain scenarios.
Key Considerations When Buying an Acid Neutralizer
- pH levels: Choose according to the pH of your water and the system’s capability.
- Flow rate: Ensure the tank size is compatible with your household water usage.
- Installation and Maintenance: Some systems might require professional installation or periodic maintenance.
- Warranty: Ensure comprehensive coverage for all parts.
- Price: Consider both upfront and ongoing costs.
Investing in an acid neutralizer can bring numerous benefits to your household, from ensuring your water’s pH is balanced to prolonging the life of your appliances. While the initial cost might seem high, remember that a good system is designed to last. Factor in the size of your household, the pH of your water, and any other specific needs to find the perfect fit.
Jay is a health and wellness enthusiast with expertise in water quality and nutrition. As a knowledgeable advocate for holistic well-being, Jay successfully manages Type 2 Diabetes through informed lifestyle choices. Committed to sharing reliable and authoritative insights, Jay combines firsthand experience with a passion for enhancing health."