What is alkaline water? What’s so special about it?
Why can’t we simply just drink the water that comes straight from the tap or the filtered water from easier sources? To put it simply, alkaline water contains essential minerals, electrolytes, and other substances that are beneficial to the body’s physiological functions.
While it may not be that necessary for us to regularly consume alkaline water, it is still better compared to mere filtered water. Alkaline water is great for athletes. It is the common denominator between a professional middle-aged athlete and a veteran athlete who still performs like a middle-aged adult.
Aside from athletes, alkaline water benefits everyone as well. In this post, we will be reviewing five brands of alkaline water for you.
5 alkaline water brands
1. Qure Alkaline Water
- Qure has a strong & stable 10 alkaline pH that lasts up to 2 years in its sealed bottle
- Qure’s unique proprietary process is inspired by Mother Nature’s water cycle
- Made with traces of high quality blend natural occurring ionic alkaline minerals and electrolytes
- Perfectly compelling non acidic choice to complement a balanced and active lifestyle.
- Distinguished smooth and silky taste will leave you feeling refreshed, renewed and revitalized
Qure is a good supplement for people who just want alkaline water as a supplement or buffer aside from their regular drinking water. You can buy this in packs of 24 which can usually last for more than a week. It has multiple flavor variants that you can enjoy and this does not alter the pH levels of the water which is typically at 10. The water is fluoride-free and the bottle is BPA-free and reusable for a long time for other kinds of beverage.
Flavor is a highlight of this brand of alkaline water. If you want a different experience for your taste buds, you should try Qure. if you end up enjoying it, then the 24-bottle pack may not last you for a whole week. If you are an active water drinker and engage in physical activities then you should stock up.
- Detailed purification process.
- Natural ions added.
- Excellent value for money; 24-pack, 500 ml each.
- FDA compliant.
- Unspecified source.
2. Essentia Water Ionized Alkaline Bottled Water
- ESSENTIA WATER 12-PACK: This case of twelve 1L (33.8 Oz) Essentia Ionized Alkaline Water bottles is made for those who believe self-care starts with better hydration. Stay hydrated with the #1 ionized alkaline water.
- 99.9% PURE: Our overachieving H2O passes through micro filtration and reverse osmosis, making it 99.9% pure. From the gym bag to the recording studio, Essentia is committed to keeping you supercharged.
- ENHANCED WITH ELECTROLYTES: Our proprietary blend of electrolytes not only enhances taste, but also complements the body's natural mix, taking hydration to the next level.
- IONIZED HYDRATION: Our proprietary ionization process produces smooth pH water by removing bitter-tasting acidic ions. Experience the crisp, fresh taste of 9.5 pH or higher.
- STAY READY: Stock the fridge and pantry for a busy week at work, school or the gym. This 12-pack of supercharged ionized alkaline water was created to keep you going.
Essentia is a popular alkaline water brand. It is a close competition of other alkaline water brands as well with the 9.5 pH and 1-liter bottles that are great for athletes who require a regular supply in large volumes.
They use ionization to increase the pH level of the water and also to add essential nutrients and electrolyte ions that enhance taste and health benefits as well. The bottles that they use are BPA-free, making them reusable for multiple times. You can refill them with regular water even if it’s not alkaline and you can be sure that it won’t be contaminated with BPA.
The use of ionization to alkalize the water can sometimes result in inconsistencies in pH level. This specific process is not yet perfected so there is a high chance that the actual pH level of the water may drop down to less than 9.5.
- Filtered through microfiltration and reverse osmosis.
- Value for money 12-pack
- BPA-free plastic bottle
- Unspecified water sources
- Incidents of unreliable packaging
3. Waiakea Hawaiian Naturally Alkaline Volcanic Water
- Award-winning clean and crisp taste
- Sustainable: Certified carbon neutral - 100% recycled bottles (rpet) - sustainable source
- Ethical: For every liter you buy, Waiakea donates 1 week of clean water to someone in need in Africa
- NATURALLY ENHANCED: Waiakea Water is Naturally enhanced with minerals & electrolytes and provides the recommended daily value of Silica at just over 30 mg.
Waiakea is a Hawaii-based company that is dedicated to the production of clean water. Hawaii is popular for their volcanoes and that is their way of obtaining alkaline water. It is filtered from volcanic rock that boosts the flavor of the water. Another reason to patronize this brand is that they donate a percentage of their profits to local nonprofit organizations.
There is a set ph range for their alkaline water and that is between 7.6 to 8.2, that is a fixed range already. You can be sure that the pH levels of all bottles in a single pack fall between that range only.
You can see that the pH levels of the Waiakea alkaline water brand is not that high up the pH scale and is nearing the neutral levels. This is kind of a drawback because that indicates that there is only a low level of beneficial electrolyte ions that should be present in alkaline water.
- BPA-free bottle
- Safe for the health
- 85% less energy and 90% fewer wastes to be produced
- Safe for the environment
- pH level is not high enough and can vary
4. Evamor Natural Alkaline Artesian Water
- It is a high quality healthy product
In the case of alkaline water, the pH levels can be unsteady. This is due to the addition of substances to raise the water’s alkalinity and achieve the optimal pH level intended for alkaline water.
An example of these substances are electrolytes. Adding large amounts of electrolytes increases the pH level of water and can also affect its taste. This is something that holds people back from consuming alkaline water because of the distinct and unusual taste.
Lucky for us, Evamor is the alkaline water that does not have a very distinct alkaline taste even though its pH is definitely at the alkaline level. That is because of the fact that they do not put as much electrolytes in their water like other brands. The pH levels of their water is between 8 and 9.
Because only a few electrolytes are used, the range is much more accurate than brands that claim to have pH levels of 9.5 or higher.
- Natural groundwater
- Great value; 6-pack (1 liter each)
- Complies with state and federal regulations
- No additives
- Not purified.
- Sourced from groundwater – has a mineral taste.
5. AQUAhydrate Electrolyte Enhanced Alkaline Water
- Aqua hydrate is pure, great tasting water that fuels your performance lifestyle for the new generation of hydration
- Proprietary bioavailable electrolyte blend provides 2x more electrolytes than the leading electrolyte-enhanced water
- Elevated alkaline ph.; level of 9+ is achieved through electrolysis, without the chalky taste of typical alkaline additive waters
- Ingredients:Purified Water, Sodium Chloride, Ionic Mineral Concentrate
The average serving size of alkaline bottled water is only 32 oz at most. The usual sizes found on the market today are 16.9 oz and 32 oz so stocking up on them may be somewhat of a hassle.
But what makes AQUAhydrate stand out is that they serve their alkaline water in bottles of 50.7 ounces each and there are 12 bottles contained in each pack. This is a real convenience when you want to stock up on alkaline water for long-term use so they won’t have to make frequent trips to the store when they’re running low on supply.
This kind of packaging and serving size is not typically done even by regular bottled water manufacturers.
They use electrolysis to alkalinize the water and pump it with many electrolytes. Some consumers are suspicious of the pH levels of AQUAhydrate’s water and think that it may not be any better than a bottle of Propel.
AQUAhydrate claims that the pH levels of their water is in the 9 range, but this is hard to believe considering the fact that they are using electrolysis as a method of alkalinization.
- Reverse osmosis and UV purification
- Locally produced
- 72 minerals added
- Suitable for physically active drinkers
- Price per bottle is quite high.
- Customers mention a mineral aftertaste.
Alkaline water explained
In the study of fluids and solutions, there are three distinctions of the amount of hydrogen and hydroxyl ions in a solution or a liquid namely acid, neutral, and basic or alkaline. These are indicators of the pH of substances. On the pH scale, the middle or neutral measure is 7. Below 7 is considered an acid while above 7 is a base or alkali. To put it simply, alkaline water is just ionized to raise the pH levels above 7 and somewhere in the 8-9 range.
Natural and artificial alkaline water
Natural alkaline water is commonly found in freshwater bodies like springs where water is usually exposed to minerals from rocks, thus raising its ion content and pH level. Alkaline water drinkers consume water that has undergone a chemical treatment called electrolysis where the water is basically loaded with ions or charged particles. This results in an increase in pH.
Another mechanism of an ionizer is that it separates the acidifying ions from the water and filters them out so the remaining ions are only the basic ones. However, medical experts still doubt this method because of the lack of research. It is important to test the water source before it is treated to make sure that there aren’t any traces of harmful contaminants in the drinking water.
Experts recommended reverse osmosis instead as an alternative method for water purification before subjecting it to an ionizer for alkalinization since reverse osmosis is already a proven method to remove harmful foreign substances and contaminants in the water before making it alkaline.
According to a study conducted by the World Health Organization, consumption of water with low mineral content (treated with reverse osmosis, distillation and other water purification processes) should be taken in moderation.
There are already plenty of suppliers and sellers of alkaline water today and you can easily buy packs in the supermarket and even online.
Water ionizing machines are also being sold in stores. There is also a DIY alternative where you simply add natural lemon or lime juice to your glass of water to make it alkaline. Your metabolic system will process the minerals contained in those juices to transform them into alkaline metabolic products upon digestion and absorption. pH drops or some baking soda can also do the trick.
Is alkaline water good for the health?
After knowing what alkaline water really is, let’s try and figure out whether this product really does wonders to our health or if this is just another capitalistic scheme. There aren’t many scientific studies that support the advantages of alkaline water over regular tap water. However, there are still some distinctions.
According to Dr. Anju Sood, an Indian nutritionist, the body “secretes out a lot of juices. These juices are basically acidic in nature. So, at that time alkaline water will neutralize the acid. We always suggest having foods that are at least 70 percent alkaline and 30 percent acidic, so that once it is consumed; the pH of the body will be neutral. Alkaline water is suggested when you are not consuming food that is not balancing your pH levels in the body.” To put it simply, alkaline water may not have a direct effect in our body nutritionally, but it does contribute in the maintenance and regulation of the physiological balance. Furthermore, alkaline water also works in improving blood viscosity, cholesterol levels, and also serves as a maintenance for diabetic patients.
Benefits of drinking alkaline water
We already mentioned some health benefits of alkaline water to the body that are from reliable sources. Apart from that, there is the obvious fact that it helps in fluid replenishment and hydration. Heart Water is one of the leading brands that utilize efficient purification methods to produce top tier bottled alkaline water. Below are more health benefits of alkaline water.
- Alkaline water hydrates the body in a more unique way compared to regular water. The ions in alkaline water are smaller due to the treatment processes it has gone through therefore making them more readily absorbable by our cells and giving us instant hydration. This is an advantage especially for people who engage in strenuous physical activities.
- Alkaline water boosts immunity. By maintaining the physiological fluid balance inside your body, you prevent cases of acidosis – a condition where there is more acid in the body. Alkaline water neutralizes acids and therefore reduces the risk of such conditions.
- Alkaline water contains magnesium and calcium minerals. These ions are essential for our body to maintain various physiological functions.
- Alkaline water has antioxidants that break down free radicals to prevent cell damage. These free radicals are factors that hasten aging and cause illness so breaking them down will help reduce their effects.
- In relation to the second one, the neutralization activity of alkaline water contributes to reducing the production of excessive acid in the gastrointestinal tract. Too much acid release can result in hyperacidity. When you have too much acid in your body, you can put your immune system at risk, leaving you more vulnerable to diseases. Hypertensive, diabetic, patients and those with high cholesterol levels can also benefit from consumption of alkaline water.
A buyer’s guide to alkaline bottled water
What advantage does alkaline water have over regular tap water and filtered water?
Tap water is not the most healthy and safe option because of the high probability of contaminants and impurities still contained in it.
Alkaline water is definitely superior when we talk about pH levels. On the pH scale, a measure below 7 is acidic, 7 is neutral, and above 7 is alkaline. Sodas and sugary drinks are acidic. Tap water usually has a neutral pH.
Alkaline water is named so because of its high pH levels. That is the main determinant of water’s alkalinity. The highest pH level that is optimal for alkaline water is 9.5. This applies to every single bottle in a pack. The variance should only be 1 to 2 points below. This is why consumers should be cautious and not believe everything that is printed on the package label.
Another highlight about alkaline water is the electrolyte content. It is important that just the right amount of electrolytes are contained in a specific volume of water. Alkaline water contains a decent amount of electrolytes while filtered water and tap water may not have enough. If electrolyte and mineral content is a concern for your health, you may want to consult with your physician first before purchasing.
Water consumers can be divided into two major groups. The first one being the non-active drinkers who do not frequently engage in physical activities and whose lifestyles are not as physically strenuous. This consumer group usually only requires 48 to 64 fluid ounces (1-1.5 liters) a day for hydration.
The second consumer group are those who are almost constantly exerting energy and effort, always on the move, and are frequently engaging in physical activity. This group needs around a gallon (128 fluid ounces or almost 4 liters) of water a day to stay hydrated. Determine which group you belong to first so you know the estimated amount of water you need in a day. You can always store alkaline water in bulk to save money and effort of always going out to buy whenever you run out.
A checklist for buying alkaline water
1. pH Value
The normal pH value of water is 6-7 which is at neutral level. When brought up to 8 or 9, that’s when it is considered as an alkaline water. You must check the pH level of the product you plan on buying and make sure that it has a high value to ensure alkalinity. Worst-case scenario is that you’ll just be robbed blind of paying extra for regular water.
2. Water source
Knowing where the water was obtained from plays a huge role in determining its contents. Natural sources are more preferable compared to ionized water. You should also be wary of brands that claim that their product comes from natural sources without having any proof of it. It is best that you do some in-depth research about this so you won’t be fooled with any marketing scheme that brands come up with.
The water brand that’s worth buying is not simply the conversion of regular water to alkaline water but the addition of beneficial nutrients like vitamins, electrolytes, and antioxidants. Make it a habit to check the label and read the ingredients that are contained in a bottle of alkaline water so you know what you are getting with your money.
4. Warning labels
It is a common marketing practice that brands would boast the purity of their alkaline water in eye-catching designs on the package label. But you should know that not everything that appears on a product’s package label is true and legitimate. Before buying, take the time to research about the conversion methods that manufacturers use for their products and read the warning label if there are any.
This has a lot more to do with packaging rather than water quality. Alkaline water can come in single-use disposable bottles, refillable pitchers, and filtration systems. If you are not a frequent consumer, you can just purchase a single-use bottle and dispose of it when you’re done. Filters are ideal if you want a long-term method of obtaining alkaline water and you want it installed in your home for instant availability.
6. Medical condition compatibility
Even though there is still not much medical studies and scientific research done to support this, alkaline water still has a slightly different composition compared to regular drinking water and should be taken with caution especially for patients with underlying medical conditions. Considerations should be taken for patients with kidney problems, diabetes, and other conditions where fluid intake is a factor.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Is it alright to drink alkaline water everyday?
Natural alkaline water is alright for regular consumption because it is naturally enriched with essential electrolytes and minerals. However, synthetically-made alkaline water must be taken with caution because of the probability of the presence of other contaminants derived from the treatment process even if it has a similar pH level to that of the naturally sourced alkaline water.
Is alkaline water good for kidneys?
There is no particular benefit given by alkaline water consumption to our kidneys. There is also no harm brought by it. It does have functions in maintaining electrolyte levels and pH levels in the body which is vital for regulating the normal elimination of toxins. However, if you have kidney problems, it is best to consult with your physician first before you consume alkaline water to avoid problems.
Are there any health risks to drinking alkaline water?
Like we said above, there are no reported risks about drinking naturally-acquired alkaline water. However, alkaline water that is obtained by water treatment processes are shown to have low mineral count and possibly contain foreign contaminants and impurities that could pose health risks.
The contaminants in alkaline water could disrupt the function of your kidneys if you have existing kidney problems. We want to reiterate that it is always best to consult first with your physician or a health professional before drinking alkaline water. Excessive consumption of alkaline water can alter the body’s normal pH levels leading to alkalosis. The common manifestations are tremors, vomiting, nausea, and confusion.
Is bottled alkaline water good?
If you buy from a well-known and reliable brand, bottled alkaline water is generally safe and good-tasting. Exercise caution and research before trying out new brands. Be aware of their processes in manufacturing.
How long will alkaline water stay alkaline?
Alkaline water maintains its pH level for 18-24 hours for average-sized bottles. For high-quality alkaline water with high pH levels, it can last up to 3 weeks.
What happens if you drink alkaline water with food?
Nothing major. You do not need to drink large amounts of fluid while eating food because it disrupts the secretion of essential acids that will help digest your food in the gastrointestinal tract. If thrown off, it may lead to indigestion and other GI-related conditions.
Can alkaline water help with acid-related conditions such as heartburn?
There is no scientific evidence to properly back this up but according to some consumers it has helped in relieving digestive problems that are linked to excessive acid production. Aside from that, some people like to make their coffee using alkaline water to lessen the acidic taste and give it a better flavor.
These alkaline water brands we recommended to you are reliable. You can store water in them efficiently without worrying about contaminants and other risks. We strongly suggest the Essentia Water, Ionized Alkaline Bottled Water; Electrolytes for Taste, Ionized Hydration, pH 9.5 or…
This is a popular brand among consumers because of its safety and reliability. Stay hydrated!
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2021-10-13