A quick way to have safe water to consume is through the use of ceramic filters to filter out contaminants present in your tap water supply. This a great and easy means to keep yourself and your household safe from negative health implications contaminated water may cause.
What is ceramic water filter
Viruses, bacteria, sediments, minerals, heavy metals, and chlorine are only some of the harmful substances that might be present in your untreated water supply. This is enough reason to filter your water for safe consumption.
The ceramic water filtration system was invented by Henry Doulton in 1827. This system uses a ceramic filter cartridge which is also known as a ceramic filter candle. This cartridge filter has minute pores that can filter out particles larger than them and that includes the harmful contaminants found in untreated water.
There are various means to use this filtration system and the great thing is that they usually come at a price that won’t break the bank. Plus, they are easy to use with no electricity requirement.
Here are some of the things you should consider before buying a ceramic water filter:
To maximize your options, you might want to have your water tested to see what contaminants you’re fighting against. Different areas have different water qualities. Know what you’re dealing with to know what filter you need.
Calculate the maintenance cost together with the initial cost before purchasing.
The rate at which your filter does its job is an important consideration to know which one suits best for your purpose. If you only need a filter for drinking water, you don’t need a filter with a high filtration rate. But if you need it for showering and cleaning too, you will need one with higher filtration rate.
A certification can give you an idea how well a product works as certification facilities carefully test these products.
For home use, the conventional pot-style ceramic water filter should accommodate your needs. But if you’re considering having a filter during your travels and camping trips, you might need to look for more portable options.
While most ceramic filters are made of ceramic, there are variants that are made of plastic or metal. Take note that ceramic is prone to cracks and breaks.
Ceramic water filters in general are affordable because they are relatively easy to produce. But, if you want models with additional filtering media or those made of sturdier materials, prices can increase.
Best ceramic water filter kits
SHTFandGO Gravity Water Filter Kit
- 1 .2 Microns 4X4 Silver Impregnated Ceramic Dome Water Filter
- 1 Impact Resistant Water Dispenser
- 1 10 Micron Pre-Filter Sock
- 1 Set of Instructions/Care for Building your Emergency Water Filter System
- 1 Scrubby to clean the filter
Are you tired or iron filters staining your appliances? You might want to switch to SHTFandGO gravity water filter which works great for the family’s daily usage. It comes with a 10-micron pre-filter, a 2-micron ceramic candle filter, and a dispenser.
This can effectively eradicate parasites and metal pollutants, such as iron, lead, aluminum, and others. It also has 99%taste and odor elimination effectiveness. Another great feature is that this is impact resistant, thus, it won’t easily break even if you accidentally drop it. Longevity is out of the question here. The unit is also easy to install: simply drill a half-inch wide hole at the bottom of the plastic bottle and mount the filter. Make sure that the ceramic part is inside the bad water bucket.
- 10-micron pre-filter
- 2-micron ceramic candle filter
- Impact resistant
- Easy to install
- Easy to clean and comes with a scrub
- Slow water filtration, especially if not installed correctly
Santevia Gravity Water System
- 10 L / 2.6 GAL MINERALIZED WATER FILTER: Create cleaner, pure tasting water with our BPA-Free, Gravity Water System. Santevia filters first reduce contaminants from water and then add back healthy essential minerals to create pure and mineralized water.
- REDUCES LEAD AND FLUORIDE: The Santevia Gravity Water System reduces hazardous chemicals found in tap water like chlorine, pharmaceuticals, and fluoride as well as heavy metals like lead.
- MINERALS IN EVERY GLASS: Santevia water filters add essential minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium to create water that’s healthier for you. Support your optimal health and love your body from the inside out with clean and mineralized water.
- THE ALKALINE DIFFERENCE: Santevia water filters raise the pH of your water by up to +2.0 units creating a smooth and silky taste. By increasing the alkalinity (resistance to acid) of your water you support your body's ability to fight unhealthy acidity.
- OPTIMIZED FOR TASTE: Adding healthy minerals to water is better for your health and will also makes your water taste fresh and delicious. Santevia filtered water tastes so good that you’ll drink more of it and stay better hydrated.
- Flow Rate: 45 – 60 minutes per tank
- Silver-Impregnated Granular Activated Carbon (GAC), .2 Micron Ceramic Filter, Ion-Exchange Resin, Far-Infrared Balls, Silica Sand, Mineral Sand, Maifan Mineral Stones, Magnetic Spigot
If you can find drinking healthier filtered water easy, you are more likely to do so. Fortunately, the Zen Water Systems 4G-MP Countertop Filtration System makes it very simple and convenient to obtain filtered water whenever you like. And, since it will be visible on your fridge, you will be reminded to drink the good and delicious water from your filter on a regular basis.
The Santevia Gravity system appeals to me because it mimics natural filtration in the mountains. It is difficult to find filters that naturally eliminate fluoride and create alkaline water. This one-of-a-kind feature appeals to me greatly.
Water is filtered into a five-stage process that eliminates all bad from fluoride to parasites that might be lurking in your drinking water: After the water has been filtered, it flows through the magnetic energizer spout into your bottle.
Water molecules are energized and realigned when they move through the spout, making it easier for the body to consume (better hydration). The low cost of replacement filters and the system’s long life are two compelling factors to purchase it.
Because of the tank’s huge capacity, you just need to fill it every couple of days, depending on the size of your family.
- Makes water alkaline which helps your body maintain optimal pH
- Adds healthy minerals calcium, magnesium, potassium and other trace mineral
- Energy balls and maifan stones stabilize and maintain optimal pH
- BPA and BPS-free plastic
- Large Capacity 4 Gallons
- Does not require electricity
- Magnetized spigot
- Removes fluoride
- Limited pH range
- It’s large so you will need to find a space for it.
- Can’t store in refrigerator
Replacement Ceramic Dome Water Filter
- 💎 PORE SIZE of 0.2 to 0.5 micron (human hair is 40 to 300 microns) In other words, the stated pore size of filter isn’t literally the size of the pores. It’s a rating of what can’t pass through them. Obviously, when sterilizing water, the object is to physically remove particles suspended in the water. The smaller pore size a smaller amount of contaminates will pass them
- 💎 SILVER IMPREGNATED A low-cost technology to treat water at the household level is the ceramic silver-impregnated filter. The ceramic filter is a promising treatment system to supply safe drinking water especially to people living in rural areas
- 💎 REMOVES: impurities and volatile organic chemicals. This Filter Removes up to of following contaminates: 99% of Arsenic 5, Taste, Odor & particles larger than 0.3 micron; 98% of Aluminum, Lead & particles larger than 0.2 micron; 96% of Iron. TRAPS: dirt, sediment, contaminants, debris
- 💎 LIFE OF FILTER is 1000 gallons or 1 year whichever comes first. To achieve better results recommended maintenance is at least once a month, or as often as necessary, depending on the quality of water. Over time, the trapped dirt and contaminants will begin to buildup, forming a layer of gunk on the surface of the ceramic filter. Scrubbing the surface of the ceramic dome with a scouring pad or soft brush under cool running water will unclog the pores on ceramic and expose a new layer for use
- 💎 APPROXIMATE FLOW RATE of 1 gallon every 1.5 hours. GUARANTEED TO FIT across all Well Known Zen, LeDoux, Santevia Water Filtration Systems and WELL-MATCHED FOLLOWING FILTERS: Aquaboon CE-S, Zen Water Systems CD, SHTFandGO SQ51132911
- Flow rate: ¾ to 1 gallon per 1.5 hour
- GUARANTEED TO FIT across all Well Known Zen, LeDoux, Santevia Water Filtration Systems and WELL-MATCHED
RonAgua ceramic water filter kit utilizes a gravity filter that has an outer ceramic shell and an inner activated carbon. Activated carbon promotes absorption of substances that are needed to be eliminated. In other words, carbon captures any sediments and harmful organisms that may be present. In effect, you will have a better tasting water.
Another great feature of this set is that it can self-sterilize and it can be cleaned regularly. It is durable and you’re sure to get your money’s worth because of its longevity. But do note that carbon cannot filter out metals so this may not be ideal if your tap water has significant amounts of heavy metals. Also, for best results, use this on water that’s already been pre-sterilized. This is durable and inexpensive which makes it a good run for your money.
- Great longevity
- Good tasting water
- Cannot filter out metals
- Should be used in pre-sterilized water
Doulton W9223021 Replacement Ceramic Filter
- Filters water through three stages
- Keeps your water tasting great for up to six months
- Model number: W9223021
- Brand name: Doulton
- Three filtration stages
- Great tasting water for up to 6 months
This ceramic filter from Doulton is a kit that has a ceramic gravity filter that houses 0.2 micron pores. Thus, it is effective in filtering out various waterborne disease-causing pathogens such as E. coli, Salmonella, Cryptosporidium, Giardia, and Shigella. Additionally, it can remove various metals that may be harmful to one’s health such as arsenic, aluminum, iron, and lead. To add to the list, it can also eliminate harmful contaminants like chlorine, sulfide, phenols, chloramines, pesticides, rodenticides, and herbicides.
Its ceramic core also eliminates unpleasant taste and odors so you have a more appealing water to consume. It is easy to install and can turn even muddy water to a clean and clear one. This kit has a high filtration rate, 14 gallons per day to be exact.
- Somehow affordable
- Long lasting
- Great filtration
- Eliminates unwanted taste and odor
- Easy to install
- Long water storage duration
- No buckets or containers
- Design can be improved
Doulton W9381105 Rio 2000 Ceramic Multi-Candle Filter Cartridge
- This inline filter housing has an output of 400 gallons per hour.
- Rio 2000 module
- The W9381105 large housing with RIO 2000 features .9 micron filtration.
- Model number: W9381105
- 400 gallons per hour filtration rate
- Rio 2000 module
The Doulton W9381105 Rio 2000 houses a filter that can trap contaminants until 0.5 microns wide. These include elements like cysts, metals, microbes, and dirt. To speed up the filtration rate to 400 gallons per day, the unit utilizes 6 separate filter candles. These increase the surface area, thus, increasing the flow. Because of its high rate, this can filter for a whole house. On top of that, the silver particles found in the filter stops the growth and spread of bacteria.
The kit comes with cleaning tools as well as things you’ll need to uninstall the filter for replacement. It’s relatively affordable and is insanely easy to clean. The downsides, however, are some issues with leaking puppies and insufficient water pressure. But considering its price point and its quality, we say that it’s worth it!
- Relatively affordable
- High filtration rate
- Complete tools
- Ceramic core has an antibacterial silver
- Parts can be cleaned rather than replaced
- Leaking pipes
- Insufficient water pressure
Internet Prepper Ceramic Water Filter Kit
- Made in USA
- Flow rate: ¾ to 1 gallon per hour
Internet Prepper’s ceramic water filter kit has a 0.2 micron filtration system to keep tiny sediments out of the way. To be specific, it can remove 99% Arsenic 5, 95% Chlorine, 98% Iron, 99% Chloramine, and many others. It was also tested to improve odor and taste by 99% and 98% respectively. Plus, it can produce 14 gallons of drinking water per day.
A great thing about this is that it weighs at about 1.1 lbs with a design and build that’s easy to install. But, extra care should be provided because the material of the kit can be fragile.
- Exceeds NSF standards
- Sock fits tightly
- Easy to install
- Lasts up to 8 months per filtre
- Fragile build
- Adjustments are required to prevent leakage
DOULTON-W9331032 UltraCarb HCPS Countertop Filter System
- Doulton HCPS Countertop Water Filter System is free standing system
- The entire system is NSF 42 and 53 Tested and Certified
- Doulton W9331032 Ultra Carb is a highly efficient ceramic micro filter which provides genuine sub micron filtration of drinking water
- Absolute filtration efficiency to 0.9 microns
- Particles from 0.5 to 0.8 microns filtration efficiency greater than 99.99%
- Flow Rate 0.5 gallons per minute
Despite being simple to mount and reasonably priced, the Doulton HCPS Countertop Filter System failed to impress us. It’s not the most visually appealing device, which is important because it’ll be sitting on your counter in plain sight. However, it does provide nearly limitless filtered water on demand.
Simply connect the hose to the end of your kitchen faucet to connect this filter. Then, using the attachment’s diverter knob, direct water from your kitchen faucet to the filter. The water would then be dispensed through the filter’s dedicated faucet.
This device employs a 10×2 micro filter with carbon layer (GAC) ceramic candle and an advanced 4-stage filtration design capable of producing up to 300 litres of clean drinking water per hour. Pathogenic Bacteria, Giardia, Cryptosporidium, sediment particles up to 0.5 microns, chlorine taste/odor, and toxic heavy metals such as lead are all removed by the multilayer Ultracarb ceramic candle.
I believe that for the vast majority of people, this countertop filter device can yield excellent results. If you don’t have counter space or don’t want the diverter valve and piping above counter, it is also available as an under counter device.
- Easy to install
- Connects easily to an existing faucet
- Under counter option
- Various Doulton candles to choose from
- Needs to be cleaned regular or clogged
How does it work?
Typically, ceramic water filtration systems rely on the ceramic water filter candle to perform the job. This cartridge has millions of small holes, averaging at half micron, which trap every particle larger than the holes. This is the initial filtration.
Now, there’s a maze made up of sharp angles found inside the ceramic filter which furtherly traps more sediments and contaminants. Depending on the ceramic filter you’re buying, there are models in the market that have additional filtration media such as activated carbon and silver ions. The latter has self-sterilizing and antibacterial properties to furtherly enhance the water’s quality. If your water contains heavy metals, such as mercury, copper, zinc, and lead, you may want to consider opting for ceramic filters with ion exchange raisins.
As a matter of fact, there are ceramic filtration systems in the market that house all three filtration media: silver ions, activated carbon, and ion exchange resins.
Types of ceramic water filters
We all want some clean water, but there are different things to consider to identify which one works best for your household. Here are the different types of ceramic water filters:
This variant is literally made by potters, especially as part of the Peace movement. As the term implies, a pot-type filter is shaped like a typical flower pot and it can store around 10 liters worth of water. The filtered gallons per day depends on the brand mostly.
This type has three parts:
- Filtration unit that rests on top of either a ceramic or plastic unit connected as a socket
- Storage unit where filtered water becomes accessible
- Spigot or spout for easy access of the filtered water
Pot-type ceramic filters are affordable and are easy to produce. They are also easy to clean. Overall, this type is an efficient filter.
This is a more advanced type because it is built with materials holding higher standards typically coated with metal. Thus, it is safe to say that this is a more durable option. It is also helpful to note that only the outside half of the filter requires some cleaning, thus, maintenance is easy.
This is also more versatile when it comes to attachment since it does not need perfect fitting sockets so you can be creative in how or where you want to instal it. But of course, this variant is more expensive than pot-type ceramic filters.
Portable ceramic filters
This requires manual plumbing to jumpstart the filtration process and are best used for camping trips and other outdoor activities due to the small size.
Inline ceramic filters
This variant filters the water that flows through the plumbing system of the house.
- Put one bucket on top of the other while keeping the lid of the bottom bucket on.
- Drill a hole at the top bucket’s base and the bottom bucket’s lid. The hole should be just right to fit the filter.
- Apply the sock over the filter and fit at the top bucket’s base.
- Drill holes on the side and near the base of the bottom bucket and install the spigot.
- Turn the water supply off and drain as much water as possibly.
- Cut off the pipe you want to place the filter in using a pipe cutter.
- Install the filter onto the pipe. You might want to check the user manual.
- Turn the water supply off.
- Take the tubing from the valve out.
- Place the filter under the sink and put markings on the location.
- Connect and properly fit the filter. You might want to check the user manual.
- Hang the filter and connect the tubings.
Pros and cons
- Naturally filtered water
- Flexible and versatile
- Easy to maintain
- Easy to install
- Wears out quite quickly
- Not the most effective filter for hard water supply
Are ceramic water filters great options?
Yes! These work effectively against protozoa, bacteria, and other harmful metals and contaminants.
What type of water filter removes pharmaceuticals?
Reverse osmosis water filters have the capability to eradicate all pharmaceuticals typically found in carbon and sediment filters by forcing the water through a semipermeable membrane.
Can ceramic filters remove bacteria?
Yes! Due to the small size of the pores, ceramic filters can trap bacteria and flush them away along with other contaminants. It’s worth noting that if you haven’t used the filter for 2 days at minimum, you must throw the first two liters out. Also, you will need to replace the filter once you see bubbles due to a crack that lets air exit through.
The importance of a clean water supply goes without saying. There are a lot of waterborne diseases that can be prevented if we take the extra measure to add filtration systems into our homes. You may want to look into our top 5 ceramic water filters and weigh on which one works best for your needs!
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2021-07-31