Lead is present in drinking water in many places where the water supply has very low mineral or acidity levels. This is mostly due to the high degree of acidity or low mineral content, which induces corrosion of the plumbing materials.
Table Of Contents−
- Best water filter for lead removal?
- iSpring WGB22B-PB 2-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
- PUR Water Pitcher Replacement Filter with Lead Reduction
- Home Master TMAFC-ERP Artesian Full Contact Undersink
- Clearly Filtered Water Filter Pitcher
- Brita Basic Faucet Water Filter System
- What is a lead removal water filter, and who is it for?
- How does lead enter our drinking water?
- What effect does lead have on our health?
- How can lead be removed from water?
- What to look out for before buying
- How do you test water for lead?
- The right methods for removing lead from water
- Different types of lead filtration systems
- The advantages and disadvantages of using a lead filter
- Frequently Asked Questions (faqs)
- Does boiling water get rid of lead?
- Do water softeners extract lead from the water?
- How does lead get removed from water?
- How often do I replace my filter?
- How can I tell if there is lead in my water?
- Aside from using a filter, is there anything else I can do to reduce lead in my water?
- How can I be certain that the selected filter effectively removes lead?
- Final Thoughts
Even though it is extremely toxic to our bodies, we can extract nothing from our water supplies. We should take measures to make the water safe to drink and use.
As a result, we will cover some of the best lead water filters and their features in this article.
Best water filter for lead removal?
To help you select a good filtration device, we’ve mentioned some of the filters we think are worth considering, alongside their features, pros, and cons.
iSpring WGB22B-PB 2-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
This is the one to use if you need a whole-house filtration device. This product is a simple water purification device that you can mount yourself. It protects all of your home’s water supplies, ensuring that you have clean drinking water.
This water filter eliminates lead and removes sediment, synthetic solvents, rust, and chlorine. This filter carefully removes all harmful substances while preserving the beneficial minerals.
The installation method is one of the most difficult aspects of purchasing a whole-house filtration device. That, however, is not an issue with the machine. You will receive a comprehensive instruction manual and several online videos on configuring this filter properly.
You don’t need to hire a plumber for this one; you can do it yourself. Carbon filters made from coconut shell carbon extend the life of this filter and make it extremely low maintenance. These carbon filters have a lifespan of up to a year, and the sediment filter has a lifespan of up to six months until they need to be replaced.
- Protect Both Your Family and Household Appliances from Lead and Other Contaminants: Our lead removal filter (FCRC25B) is specially built for minimizing lead. This filter has a load capacity of 15,000 ppm, effectively reducing the lead to less than 15 ppb (the EPA standard for drinking water). The device also removes sediment, VOCs, rust, chlorine, herbicides, pesticides, industrial solvents, and other pollutants.
- Do-It-Yourself Installation and Maintenance: For simple DIY installation, consult their manual and useful YouTube videos. The system has a 1″ NPT inlet/outlet and Big Blue 20″ x 4.5″ filter cartridges, so it has a low effect on water flow (up to 15 GPM) and needs little maintenance.
- It is simple and easy to use;
- It removes rust and sediment;
- It requires no maintenance;
- It is simple to install; and
- It retains all of the beneficial minerals.
Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
This is our recommendation for those who do not need a full-fledged filtration system in their home and prefer something fast and simple. It’s also a good idea if you’re going to a place where the water has a high lead concentration.
This one has triple-capacity filters and can accommodate up to 150 gallons of lead-free and chromium-6, fluoride, and mercury-free water. This five-stage filter does not remove any beneficial minerals from your water.
The filter is very small, making it ideal for travel and everyday household use. There is no need for installation. Fill the jar with water; the filters will do the rest. As a result, this is the most convenient way to obtain clean drinking water.
This filter is made of FDA-approved plastic and is 100 percent recyclable, so you are not harming the environment.
- High-quality design for health and sustainability.
- Removes 20x more pollutants than the leading rival, including chromium 6, lead, fluoride, mercury, chloramines, and chlorine. The filter retains safe trace minerals in your water, such as magnesium and calcium, that other filters can remove.
- Reasonably priced
- Capable of holding up to 150 gallons of clean, lead-free water
- Made from 100 percent recyclable, eco-friendly plastic
- Keeps water clear of mercury, lead, and fluoride
- Very simple to use without any installation
- There is no indicator for filter replacement.
PUR Water Pitcher Replacement Filter with Lead Reduction
The least expensive lead water purifier on our list! This product is intended to extract 99 percent of the lead from your water, rendering it safe to drink.
An easy-to-use pitcher filter, such as this one, takes just four steps to provide clean water. Soak the filter for about fifteen minutes, rinse it for ten seconds, place and twist to secure it, and fill the pour tray with water. You’ll have access to clean drinking water in no time.
Remember that this is just the substitute filter and does not include an additional pitcher. However, this model is compatible with all PUR dispensers and pitchers. This one is a must-have, with a lifespan of 1 to 2 months and the capacity to hold 40 gallons of water.
Furthermore, the ion exchange process and activated carbon work together to remove lead and 70 other impurities, including chlorine and rust. PUR has always been a reliable brand regarding water, and this product is unquestionably one of the items that prove the brand’s value.
- Water filter pitcher replacements – Replace your water pitcher filter to enjoy cleaner, filtered water. This three-pack of easy-to-replace water filter replacements is compatible with all PUR dispensers and pitchers. PPF951K3 is the model number.
- Pur lead reduction filter – PUR water filtration pitcher filters are WQA approved to eliminate lead and other potentially harmful pollutants in your drinking water. PUR PPF951K is certified to reduce three times as many pollutants as Brita filter OB03.
- No installation needed
- Best bang for your buck product on the list
- Removes 99 percent lead from water
- Simple and quick to use; just four steps are required to get started
- Ion exchange and activated carbon process help minimize lead and 70 other impurities
- Some customers have reported durability problems.
Home Master TMAFC-ERP Artesian Full Contact Undersink
For quite some time, reverse osmosis has been dubbed the leading water filtration technology. This is because it purifies water while maintaining the majority of its nutrients. The Home Master Artesian Full Contact water filter, our next product, promises to do just that.
The Artesian Full Contact has a revolutionary architecture that results in an incredible waste ratio of 1:1. Compared to the average under-sink R.O. water filter; it produces 80 percent less waste and up to 50 percent more water.
In terms of filtration, the device has a seven-stage process that eliminates up to 98 percent of pollutants from water. It also has proprietary Full Contact technology, which adds extra minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, twice during the filtration process.
This R.O. system’s filters are also simple to replace and last around a year or up to 2000 gallons. Furthermore, it includes a separate faucet that will not compete with your existing home faucet.
- A better R.O. system | The revolutionary nature of the Home Master Artesian Full Contact eliminates most of the issues associated with canister and tankless R.O. systems.
- Mineral Water on Tap | A patented remineralization device adds calcium and magnesium twice during the purification process, resulting in less storage tank depletion and great-tasting, ultrapure Mineral Water on Tap.
- The 1:1 waste ratio is difficult to beat;
- It is simple and user-friendly;
- Full Contact technology provides additional nutrients to water;
- It requires no maintenance and lasts up to a year;
- Removes 98 percent of lead;
- Quite large under-counter filter
Clearly Filtered Water Filter Pitcher
The primary reason for purchasing a lead water filter system is to remove pollutants. As a result, when searching for a filter device, the percentage of contaminant elimination should be prioritized. The Filtered Water Filter Pitcher was built with the same concept in mind.
It includes approved filters that eliminate lead, fluoride, PFAS/PFOA, and over 230 pollutants typically found in today’s drinking water. In practice, this results in 99.7 percent contaminant removal, which few filters can achieve.
According to the business, you could filter dirty water through the Top 5 most common water filters but still don’t have cleaner water than the Filtered Water Filter Pitcher.
It is built in the form of a standard kitchen pitcher. It is made of BPA-free material that does not leach any chemicals. One filter in the pitcher yields approximately 100 gallons of filtered water.
- Filtered Water Filter Pitcher makes filters for people who are concerned about the quality of their water. Upgrade your filter to one of ours for added peace of mind.
- Filter Fluoride And Forever Chemicals: Lead, fluoride, and PFAS/PFOA (the “forever chemicals”), as well as over 230 specific pollutants typically contained in drinking water around the world, have been independently checked.
- Retains the majority of the nutrition in the water
- 99.7 percent contaminant elimination is unrivaled
- It has a very appealing nature
- 100 percent BPA-free with no chemical leaching
- The filter must be replaced regularly.
Brita Basic Faucet Water Filter System
- This model connects to your faucet and cleans the water as it flows out.
- No tools are needed for installation, which can be completed in minutes.
- Filters out over 60 toxins, like chlorine, lead, and other elements typically contained in drinking water;
- Filters may handle 100 gallons of water until having to be replaced;
The Brita inline sink filter is a great alternative, with each filter supplying over 100 gallons of clean and filtered water.
You will have clean water at your disposal by simply attaching the filter to the nozzle of your sink, eliminating the need for a bulky filter or an under-sink device. This inline water filter’s convenience cannot be overstated.
It effectively eliminates chlorine and, more specifically, lead from the water supply. The quick-release button makes adjusting the filters a breeze, taking around 30 seconds on average.
An additional sediment filter layer specialized in eliminating heavy metals or solids commonly associated with lead is included in the filters. Simply twist this on your sink, and you’ll have amazing drinking water right twist this on your sink, and you’ll have amazing drinking water right away!
- The quickest installation time for an inline filter we’ve reviewed so far.
- An additional layer in the filter is devoted to trapping sediment, which normally includes heavy metals.
- One filter can replace 700 regular single-use plastic water bottles.
- Replacing filters is easy and can be accomplished with a single push of the quick-release button.
- I wish the water filter were available in more colors than just white.
What is a lead removal water filter, and who is it for?
Lead is among the most dangerous substances present in our water. Although many people are unaware of its dangers, it poses significant threats to one’s mind and body well-being. Drinking lead-contaminated water regularly can result in complications down the road.
Even minor lead exposures can cause significant harm and risks in children and babies. According to the EPA, lead exposure causes 36 learning disabilities and behavioral problems in children.
They are also found to have compromised nervous systems and brain disorders. Because of the poor function of their blood cells, many people have impaired hearing, short stature, and a frail constitution.
Lead also harms pregnant mothers, causing premature births and other complications. Babies are also prone to stunted growth and other irregular symptoms.
Aside from that, lead is known to cause various other issues, such as kidney failure, hypertension, fertility issues, memory loss, etc. People who already have these issues or are immunocompromised should avoid drinking lead-contaminated water.
How does lead end up in our water? This is because of the kind of pipes we have. Some homes have lead pipes or other lead-based fixtures. The lead coatings break off due to time and contaminants in the water, contaminating the water supply.
Fortunately, lead can be eliminated from our drinking water by using a shower filter that removes lead, for example. However, before you can do so, you must first determine the strength and accumulation levels.
You’ll know if your water supply has been checked. These samples can be obtained from the local utility provider or government or use home test kits.
You can change the water source, eliminate the lead directly, or use a specific filter, such as a lead-free water pitcher. For most consumers, the third alternative appears to be the most cost-effective and viable option.
How does lead enter our drinking water?
Lead reaches our water systems through pipes and fixtures connected by corrosive lead solder, used until 1986, and pipes containing lead directly, referring to homes constructed before the 1930s.
As a result, according to the AWWA, 15-22 million Americans drank from a drinking water source of lead-based service lines in 2016.
Another disadvantage of lead contamination is acidic water, including a low mineral content, which speeds up corrosion.
What is shocking
Between 2013 and 2016, USA Today reported approximately 2,000 city water supply systems in all 50 U.S. states where testing revealed significant lead pollution.
According to the Detroit Free Press, several hundreds of major U.S. cities also have 100% lead piping linking tap water utilities to homes.
According to The Guardian, at least 33 cities in the United States have been found to use cheats to mask harmful lead levels in their drinking water supply.
What effect does lead have on our health?
Lead is a neurotoxin that causes brain abnormalities and severe kidney damage. Lead also harms red blood cells and the bloodstream’s walls. It is dangerous for pregnant women because it is lethal to all unborn babies and children.
Also, in young children as young as seven years old, it can cause severe nervous system damage and a variety of disorders and disabilities, including:
- Delay in mental and physical development
- Lower I.Q.
- Attention disorder
- Problems with general behavior
- Damage to the nervous system
How can lead be removed from water?
Luckily, lead in drinking water can be gotten rid of. The most straightforward way to remove lead from water is to use the right water filter after figuring out the source of corrosion and the amount of lead buildup per gallon. It’s important to identify where the lead contamination in your water supply is
The majority of water supply pipelines in the United States are made of copper, with fixtures joined by pipes that emit large amounts of lead.
This matter is more pressing, especially in areas where houses and drainage systems were built before 1986. So, if you rely on city water for your needs, the only way to clean the water source is to change it.
If the water comes from a private source, such as a bore or well, you can get lead out of the water. The problem is the amount of time water sits in pipelines.
The longer the water is allowed to remain in those pipelines, the more likely it is to accumulate lead. If eliminating the source of lead accumulation appears costly, the cheapest solution is to clean the water entering the house using the appropriate water filters based on the requirements and conditions. Get your water tested by a certified lab to determine the correct water filters.
Over 200,000 children under the age of 6 are exposed to lead poisoning in the US every year. Lead poisoning can cause neurological and developmental problems that may be irreversible, especially in children.
If you have any concerns about lead and your health, contact your physician.
What to look out for before buying
Before investing your capital, you should be aware of the following features. They will help you in making the best decision. We will go over them in more detail below.
This is determined by how much water you drink or use regularly. If you want to buy a filter for a business or even a large family, you need a larger and more efficient filter to filter out gallons of water daily.
You’ll want a smaller alternative if you’d like a filter for your home, say, with two to four people. This is an important consideration since the larger filter would cost you more.
- The frequency at which the filter must be replaced
Sections of your water filter would need to be replaced after a few weeks or months of use. If you buy a low-quality filter, you may have to replace it more frequently. This is not cost-effective and would result in wasteful spending.
Because you will need to replace this filter at some point, it is best to buy it accordingly. Purchase something you know you’ll be able to repurchase. Also, ensure that the filter you purchase does not need to be replaced too soon.
- Easy Filter Usability
Because this water filter will be used regularly, it must be simple to install and use. To save money on plumbers, get a water filter that you can install yourself.
- Indispensable: NSF/ANSI International Standard 53 Certifications
When purchasing a water filter system, look for NSF/ANSI Standard 53 testing and certifications for lead removal.
NSF International is a non-profit organization dedicated to the development of industry standards. Independent third-party testing agencies, like the Water Quality Association (WQA) or the Canadian Standards Association (CSA), certify particular products available to these standards.
- Lead Filtration System Types
The truth is that lead removal from water is more about the filtration process/method(s) used than the type of filter used. Reverse osmosis, KDF filtration, carbon filtration, and distillation are all extremely effective methods.
Whole-house filtration systems, distillers, water filter pitchers, under-sink filters, gravity-fed systems, countertop units, faucet filters, and various reverse osmosis systems all use them.
- Checking for Other Contaminants in Your Water
Consider getting the water checked for lead as well as other toxins. Many are just as dangerous as lead and chromium-6 and must be removed similarly.
It is always preferable, in our view, to use professional labs. They can analyze one or more direct water samples for hundreds of chemicals, heavy metals, organics, and other contaminants. Another choice is to look over the most recent water quality survey. It is free, but it does not apply to private well water.
- Lead Filter Installation
Its type determines the difficulty of installing a lead water filter.
Whole-house systems are unquestionably more difficult to set up than under-sink filters. Pitchers, countertop filters, faucet mount systems, gravity filters, and distillers are typically installed in minutes and do not need permanent installation.
- Replacement Filters
Replacement filters are a vital feature of any water filter since they are the most expensive in the long run. As a result, the preferred option is long-lasting, low-cost, readily available filters.
How do you test water for lead?
Before purchasing a filtration system, you can determine if the water in your home contains much lead to necessitate a filter.
1. Purchase a water testing kit
Water testing kits are available at Amazon, a hardware store, or local home improvement. The package includes detailed guidance and leads checking strips to provide reliable results. For better results, you will need to replicate the test many times.
2. Request that the plumbing company test the water.
Many plumbing companies or water supply companies already perform water tests for you. So, ask the company you’ve selected to test your water and notify you if there’s any lead. If you request it, they will also configure the filtration device for you.
3. Test the water yourself
Using coins or a key, scratch the surface of your water pipes or faucet. If a white line appears, the object is made of lead, and you will need to use a filter. If not, you’re fine.
This procedure cannot be performed on harder pipes. You may need to contact your local water and sanitation department to obtain details about the content.
The right methods for removing lead from water
It is easy to mount a water filter to remove lead, but it is far more difficult to find the correct one for your needs. However, there are three simple lead removal water filtration methods:
1. Osmosis (reverse osmosis)
Reverse osmosis is the most commonly used and least expensive procedure for lowering and removing lead from water. Full reverse osmosis is not widely available because it is very costly and is only used by high-end water filtration units. However, partial reverse osmosis, which most water filter firms sell, is inexpensive and removes 95 percent of lead from water.
2. Filtration with activated carbon
Activated carbon absorbs heavy metals such as lead, magnesium, and various other harmful pollutants. However, not all carbon-activated filtration eliminates lead. Filter cartridges easily fill up and must be replaced regularly.
The filters’ ability to remove lead deteriorates after processing a certain volume of water, depending on the efficiency and power capacity of the filters.
Distillation produces almost pure H2O. This is one of the most costly methods of removing lead from water, but it becomes less expensive as the volume of water filtered in a single pass increases.
The process eliminates lead from water even after extended use and requires fewer filtration cartridge replacements. Distillation often consumes a lot of energy and takes a long time to complete.
Different types of lead filtration systems
There are many forms of lead filtration systems on the market right now. It’s difficult to pick a definite winner, but here’s a list of each form to help you decide which is right.
1. Whole house filtration system
These are massive filtration systems installed to filter out any droplet of water used in one’s home, as the name implies. They are located between the main water supply source and the house’s water tank. As a result, they can be placed in your basement or any other similar room.
The disadvantage of whole-house filters is that they can be much more expensive than a more compact filtration device. However, since they ensure that no water used in your home is polluted, they are well worth the cost.
So, if you live with your family and want to install a filtration system that protects you from contaminated water, you can go with a whole-house filtration system.
Pitchers can be found in any home. They are the containers in which you keep your water. Companies, however, have revamped them as of today. They now have a built-in filtration device that allows you to store 2-3 gallons of water while filtering out all the lead and other contaminants.
They are easily the most lightweight and user-friendly filtration system available, as they do not require installation and clean 97+ percent of pollutants in water. As a result, whether you are a person or a couple, this is the type of filtration device you should invest in.
3. Gravity-fed filtration system
While they are rare, gravity-fed filtration systems are an excellent way to ensure that your drinking water is free of contaminants. They are portable and can be used as a pitcher on the go or in the kitchen.
Gravity-fed filtration systems filter water by harnessing the force of gravity. All the end-user has to do is pour dirty water into it, and gravity will suck all the pollutants out. It is important to note that it is not the most effective water cleaning method, but it is still an excellent option for travelers and bachelors.
4. Counter-flow filtration system
On-counter filtration systems are the simplest to install since they are small and can be placed directly on your kitchen counter. They attach directly to your faucet for filtration, and the product is contaminant-free drinking water.
Counter filtration systems are very effective in capability, promising up to 97 percent lead cleaning. Furthermore, since they are so simple to use, they are perfect for small families, landlords, or college students who do not want to deal with the hassle of building an under-the-sink or other complex filtration device.
5. Under counter filtration system
Instead of on-counter filtration devices, these are mounted under your kitchen counter or bathroom sink. Except for whole-house systems, these are typically larger than other filtration systems. As a result, they are also very effective at cleaning water with multi-stage filtration.
Under counter systems often outperform most other systems in durability, lasting many months until requiring a filtered shift. This is an excellent choice for large families and multi-tenant homes that need safe drinking water.
The advantages and disadvantages of using a lead filter
1. Drinking water free of lead is much healthier.
2. Filtered water usually tastes much better.
3. Most water filters are effective against other hazardous substances in addition to lead.
4. Lead filter costs are manageable unless you want a whole-house system.
5. In most cases, installing and maintaining a lead filter is easy.
1. A lead filter can eliminate 95 percent of heavy metals, but this may not be enough to provide healthy drinking water.
2. Not all lead-removal water filters are NSF-certified.
Frequently Asked Questions (faqs)
Does boiling water get rid of lead?
No, boiling water will not extract lead from your body. When the water boils, the lead concentration increases as the water evaporates.
Do water softeners extract lead from the water?
Water softeners would never be able to strip lead from the water. A softener substitutes sodium for calcium and magnesium. Water softeners are not designed to extract lead from water.
How does lead get removed from water?
A successful filtration system can aid in removing lead from water, making it safe to drink. Household remedies may extract some lead but can never make the water drinkable.
How often do I replace my filter?
You would need to replace your water filter depending on your selected brand. It’s a good idea to do this every 2 or 3 months to stop dirt buildup.
How can I tell if there is lead in my water?
Since the human eye cannot detect lead in water, purchasing a home water monitoring kit or having your water checked in a laboratory is the only choice.
Aside from using a filter, is there anything else I can do to reduce lead in my water?
In general, no. You could pay for a plumber to test your home’s pipes and replace any lead materials with lead-free materials. But it would cost thousands of dollars, and that wouldn’t fix the problem of lead being conveyed from the pipes on its way into your home in the first place.
Using a lead water filter is much less expensive and simpler than attempting to prevent lead from entering your water in the first place.
How can I be certain that the selected filter effectively removes lead?
Manufacturers often exaggerate their marketing statements to make a sale. If you want to be sure a product is authentic, look for an NSF certification or third-party testing for Lead Standard 53.
Do your research if a manufacturer has not organized for NSF testing or certification. It’s also a good idea to read customer reviews, particularly on sites like Amazon, where a manufacturer cannot vet or control which reviews are posted.
Even for the best items, there will still be bad feedback, but you can still learn a few things from the reviews section before buying the product.
Choosing the right lead water filter is not a difficult task. Now that you know most of the features and qualifications of a high-quality filter, the purchasing process should go smoothly.
Finally, we suggest that you purchase the following:
- A better R.O. system | The innovative nature of the Home Master Artesian Full Contact solves most of the problems associated with tankless and canister R.O. systems.
- Mineral Water on Tap | A patented remineralization system incorporates magnesium and calcium twice during the purification process, resulting in less storage tank degradation and better-tasting, extremely pure mineral water.
Among the best lead filtration systems available right now. It not only has an unrivaled 1:1 drain ratio but also provides additional nutrients to your filtered water in the form of magnesium and calcium.
Jay is a health and wellness enthusiast with expertise in water quality and nutrition. As a knowledgeable advocate for holistic well-being, Jay successfully manages Type 2 Diabetes through informed lifestyle choices. Committed to sharing reliable and authoritative insights, Jay combines firsthand experience with a passion for enhancing health."