Hard water affects 85 percent of Americans; your friends or neighbors may have had similar problems. However, some may have resolved their hard water issues by installing a whole-house water softening system.
Table Of Contents−
- Best water softener for apartments
- H2oEliteLabs EWC-Max i 0-35 GPG – For best value
- HQUA 5000E Electronic Water Descaler – Less energy consumption
- On The Go OTG3NTP3M Portable Water Softening Device – The most portable
- Mobile Soft Water Portable Softener – Bestseller
- Mobile Premier 16,000 Grain Mobile Softening Device – Easiest to install
- Amazonbasics AMZN HD200-C Heavy Duty Water Filtration – Highest quality
- Ispring ED 2000 Whole House Water Softener Descaler – Best Salt-Free Water Descaler
- Capacitive Electronic Water Descaler System by YARNA
- Water Softener WATER BOSS 74011
- Water Softener Watts Water Flow-Pur RV-Pro
- Portable Water Softener PRO+AQUA
- Hardless NG Lotus Whole House Water Filter and Water Conditioner
- Is it possible to install a water softener in an apartment?
- Why do I need a water softener?
- How did we evaluate the water softeners?
- What you should know about water softener for your apartment
- Water treatment at the point of use vs. at the point of entry
- Water softener Types
- Selecting a water softener
- Buying a water softener for an apartment
The benefits of owning a water treatment device are not confined to homeowners. Many water filtering solutions are available if you live in a rental property, apartment, or even a mobile home—anywhere soft water is wanted, space is restricted, and a permanent connection is not required.
Are you looking for the best apartment water softener? Here are a few excellent portable water softening devices. Please keep reading to pick the ideal one for your needs and budget out of all of them.
Aside from that, we have included all the necessary information on water softeners, including their advantages and disadvantages. Aside from that, our evaluation includes tiny water softeners that are simple to install.
Compare all water softeners to pick the one that is right for you. Don’t forget to examine the capability of your water softeners to eliminate hardness from your apartment’s water.
Best water softener for apartments
Let’s look at the best water softeners without further ado.
H2oEliteLabs EWC-Max i 0-35 GPG – For best value
- PROTECTS ENTIRE PLUMBING SYSTEM: This compact device helps protect your home from lime scale and calcium hardness...
- SIMPLE DESCALING PROCESS: Our whole house water descaler system is not a water filter and does not eliminate...
- CHEMICAL FREE, SALT FREE: Our eco-friendly and maintenance-free technology eliminates hard water material build up...
This water softener that can protect your entire plumbing system once installed is also why it made my list of the most delicate water softeners. It is suitable for use on any type of pipe, including copper, PVC, CPVC, and PEX.
H20elitelabs is also an excellent water softener for use with water heaters. It extends the life of your water heaters by avoiding limescale buildup on the unit. This device works by eliminating old calcium deposits in your pipes and preventing the formation of newer ones. Rest confident; you will notice this improvement after a few weeks of installation.
This electronic descaler water conditioner is packed with convenience features, such as ease of installation and no need for maintenance. However, you do not need to hire an expert to set it up and operate it.
The only issue I have with the installation is the wiring, which can be tiresome at first but is easy to do with the manual. Just keep in mind that only one wire runs from one connector to the other, around the pipe, and back to the first.
- It softens water twice as quickly as standard softeners.
- Can safeguard the entire home’s plumbing system
- Solves hard water problems such as poor soap lathering and dry skin.
- You can save time by not having to clean the faucet, sink, or toilet.
- Increases the longevity of household appliances
- DIY system that does not necessitate the engagement of a professional
- This unit has a long service life.
- The installation of the wire takes some time.
- not be the most durable around
HQUA 5000E Electronic Water Descaler – Less energy consumption
- HOW IT WORKS? Descale the existing deposit in your entire pipe system and Prevent scale deposits again. Our antenna...
- THE BENEFITS YOU WOULD GET: Blocking, Worse heating efficiency, Rust accumulation, Disgusting color and smells,...
- ADVANTAGES: Cable bands works great in this new technology since it has a larger working area. All kinds of piping...
This water softener operates without the use of salt or any other type of chemical. As a result, it is suitable for a complete family’s use and is simple to install, requiring no plumbing work. In addition, it is inexpensive, consuming about 5-7 dollars per year.
The gadget can withstand a hardness of 25 gpg/425ppm. So, before purchasing this equipment, determine the hardness of your water. HQUA 5000E works by first dissolving minerals that have accumulated in your pipes. Depending on how long it took to build up in the first place, this process can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months.
This unit functions as an alternative to a water softener. It alters the crystal texture of the carbonates, allowing you to enjoy the water as if it had been softened. Don’t get me wrong; this device is an excellent water softener because it reduces limescale buildup, makes your soap lather, and softens it.
The manual can be misleading, but installation isn’t that difficult.
- There are no maintenance costs.
- It is simple to set up.
- It can take up to 6 months to thoroughly descale.
On The Go OTG3NTP3M Portable Water Softening Device – The most portable
- Removes Dirt, Paint, Rust, And Scale
- Package length: 7.0"
- Package Width: 24.25"
- Dust, odor, complex ions, and scale are all removed.
- Water softener on the go
- Simple to set up
- 8,000-grain bag
- opening with a largemouth
Another excellent portable water softening device on our list is the On the Go OTG3 NTP3M, a high-quality water softener for flats. Furthermore, it is small and easy to install a go water softener.
Furthermore, this water softener on the move can deliver softened water for two weeks and has received positive feedback from customers.
On the road, the OTG3 NTP3M water softener conveniently removes hardness from water while also reducing odor. In addition, this portable water softener contains valuable features and is simple to set up.
On the other hand, this tiny device will renew after 15 minutes if salt is added to it. It also includes an input and shut-off valve. As a result, the flow rate of this on-the-go water softener is high.
The best part is that the on-the-go water softener regenerates several times daily. This water softener is designed to be lightweight and portable. Furthermore, a water softener on the go can eliminate hardness from up to 700 liters of water.
Overall, this water softener is suitable for apartments and condominiums. Overall, this water softener is ideal for removing hard water with a hardness level of 120 mg.
This water softening machine will make an immediate difference in your home’s water quality. You will also be protected from hard ions. There will be no scaling on the pipelines or the faucets. You’ll also appreciate the ease of installation and the 800-grain units. And the best part? You will have a large mouth opening, which will improve the water quality and prevent stains from spreading throughout the house produced by hard water.
- A small and lightweight design
- Prevents the growth of limescale and rust stains on water fixtures and appliances.
- The unique swivel intake valve provides for easy connecting.
- For regeneration, plain table salt is used.
- It has a big hole for easy salt pouring.
- Removes hardness, dirt, paint, and rust with ease.
- Skin that is rough and dry will benefit from this treatment.
- It has a high flow rate and a low-pressure drop.
- A hardness strip is included.
- High flow systems are not recommended.
- It takes longer to rejuvenate than other brands.
- Some components are composed of plastic.
- The packing is inadequate.
Mobile Soft Water Portable Softener – Bestseller
- 16,000 grains Total Hardness Removal Portable and Manual
- Removes Total Hardness and Soluble Iron
- Suitable for Recreational Vehicle Use
- unit of 16000 grains
- Hardness and iron are removed.
- Water softener without lead
- A water softener that is removable and portable
Following that, we offer the best-selling Mobile Soft Water Portable Softener. Furthermore, this water softener is reasonably priced and has dependable characteristics. Customers have given the mobile soft water portable softener positive feedback. Best of all, it is a portable device that is simple to set up.
Furthermore, this water softener has an exceptional potential for removing hard water ions. There will be no stains on the faucets once you install the mobile water softener in your flat. This water softener is suitable for consumers on a tight budget.
Furthermore, this water softener can eliminate hardness from up to 5 gallons of water in just one minute. Furthermore, it is reasonably priced, and you will have an excellent water softener that does not require frequent regeneration. It will automatically renew after cleaning 1300 gallons of water.
Similarly, this mobile water softener is high quality and made of high-grade materials. It is also the greatest water softener for eliminating iron from water. Aside from that, the mobile water softener includes a fiberglass container.
Above all, it comes with a one-year warranty. As a result, if your water softener isn’t working well, you can exchange it. Furthermore, you can request mobile water softener maintenance during the warranty period.
Overall, the mobile safe unit is reasonably priced and has a high-quality equipment. In addition, it features a fantastic regeneration system that uses very little water. These characteristics combine to make mobile safe the best water softener for flats.
Could you locate a softening unit that could reduce the hardness in a short period? So, you’ll have to go with this one. This water softener’s grain unit is 1600. You will also have a lead-free water softener. It is a very portable water softener that can be readily installed in your home. You will undoubtedly appreciate how quickly this water softener eliminates any hard water concerns.
- Reduces the hardness of the water
- Ideal for recreational vehicles and tiny dwellings.
- It is possible to minimize the amount of iron in water to increase rust protection.
- lighter than competing manufacturers with the same capacity
- The system is simple to set up and maintain.
- Removes 100% hardness along with soluble iron
- Generates without electricity
- The package does not include all of the hardware required for installation.
- Limited one-year warranty
- A pungent stench may be produced in the tank.
Mobile Premier 16,000 Grain Mobile Softening Device – Easiest to install
- RV Water Softener
- Manual Water Softener
- Soft Water
- Water softener on the go
- The gentle shower water
- Simple to set up
- Attaching is simple.
Following that, we have another high-quality mobile water softener for an apartment. This transportable water softener is easy to install and has a grain capacity of 16,000 grains. Furthermore, this mobile water softener can be used in various ways.
Furthermore, this mobile premier watch softener is ideal for vehicle cleaning, residences, yachts, and other similar applications. Furthermore, the mobile premier water softener is versatile and has outstanding features, making it one of the best water softeners for flats.
On the other hand, this mobile water softener will regenerate numerous times daily. The premier water softener is simple and comes with an instruction booklet. This water softener also comes with an instruction handbook.
Although it is not suited for large residences due to its limited capacity to remove hardness from water, the mobile premier is the greatest water softener for a two or three-person apartment. In addition, this water softener has received rave ratings from other customers.
Furthermore, this water softener has a grain capacity of 16,000 grains. In addition, it will remove the hardness and stink from the water. This mobile premier water softener is the most popular and widely available on Amazon.
This mobile water softener for flats, on the other hand, has a lightweight design. Moreover, this mobile premier is a small, easy device to transport.
Overall, the mobile premier water softener is a small device that will aid in producing full lather from shampoo and soap. Best of all, it is free of defects and produces quick results after installation.
Overall, this portable water softener is ideal for a home with many hard water stains on the appliances. You will also notice a difference in your skin after taking a shower. Best of all, you will have a softening unit that is simple to maintain and does not take up much space. In reality, this water softener has a solid construction and will survive for a long time.
- Small and portable
- Removes all hardness as well as soluble iron.
- Vehicles that are suitable for leisure use
- NSF certification
- Produces without the need for electricity
- Limited one-year warrantyA pungent stench may
- be produced in the tank.
Amazonbasics AMZN HD200-C Heavy Duty Water Filtration – Highest quality
- Whole House Water Filter Housing: Equivalent to Culligan WH-HD200-C, this filtration component reduces sediment,...
- Keeps Faucets Flowing: Featuring a bypass shut off valve, integrated bracket design, battery-operated filter change...
- Reduces Sediment, Scale and More: Compatible with AMZN-R50-BBSA, AMZN-CP5-BBA, AMZN-CW5-BBS, AMZN-RFC-BBSA filter...
- NSF certification
- High-quality water softener filter
- I/O connections made of stainless steel
- Design of integrated brackets
Last but not least, one of the best water softeners for flats is Amazon Basics Water Filtration. This apartment water softener is of high grade. Furthermore, you will see good immediate benefits after installing this water softener.
Furthermore, this amazonbasics water softener will remove the stink from the water. Aside from that, the amazonbasics water softener removes hard ions from water.
Furthermore, this is a heavy-duty water softener with a high flow rate and a shut-off valve. It, too, has an integrated design and is made of stainless steel.
Furthermore, this Amazon Basics water softener will remove silt and scale from the water.
On the other hand, this Amazon Basics water softening device will supply clean and softened water to the entire house.
Furthermore, this water softener fulfills NSF standards and is simple to install. Amazon Basics is the most excellent water softener for apartments, allowing detergent and soap to lather up more effectively.
You’ve seen the specifications for this popular water softening system from Amazon Basics. And the best thing about this water softener is that it is certified. It is dependable, and you can quickly replace its parts when the water softener wears out. This water softener’s filter is also of high quality. It even has stainless steel input and output connections. Because of the integrated bracket, the design is quite striking.
- complies with NSF standards
- Design that is integrated
- Water softener made of stainless steel
Ispring ED 2000 Whole House Water Softener Descaler – Best Salt-Free Water Descaler
- [Improve Water Quality] Solves hard water problems without the need for chemicals, salt, or maintenance, while...
- [Reliable Descaler] Descales your entire water system and prevents scale buildup in pipes. Reduces energy...
- [Environmental Friendly] Designed for very hard water areas (10-19 grains per gallon). Saves energy and extends the...
- Solves the problem of hard water
- It keeps scale from forming in pipes.
- 10 to 19 grains per gallon is ideal for hard water locations.
- A water softener that does not require maintenance
This is not your typical water softener. Do you know why descalers outperform traditional water softeners? Descalers, on the other hand, are designed to prevent hard water problems. Additionally, the descaler will allow you to avoid good minerals from entering your home’s water.
In reality, it will function pretty efficiently by providing the scaling to break down. The descaler will also improve the water quality. On the pipes, there will be no residue buildup. You will also get the best choice of salt-based water softeners. It will not add any salt to your drinking water. As a result, this water softener is an excellent choice for promoting skin health and making hair texture smoother.
And the best thing is… This softener will prevent hard water difficulties by softening up to 10 to 19 grains per gallon. As a result, you can save energy without making any changes to your home’s plumbing. Furthermore, it is the most low-maintenance water descaler you can install on any pipeline. It will also be installed on PEX and PVC.
This water descaler comes with lifetime assistance and a one-year money-back guarantee. Furthermore, the descaler will not alter the composition of the water. This water softener is not inexpensive. You will have an intriguing water softener that functions efficiently thanks to electronic chips.
This water softener will undoubtedly assist you in preventing hard water problems. On the pipelines, there will be no limescale buildup. And the best part? You can simply retain the healthy minerals in the water, and it will remove calcium and other hard ions from the entire house’s water.
In terms of installation, you will have a water softener that is simple to use. It will be simple to install on any pipeline, and there will be two ways. You can, for example, position the water softener horizontally or vertically.
This water softener is the greatest lifetime softening equipment with tech support. You will also avoid contaminating the water with sodium. It has 9000 ISO certification, which is of high quality. The sole disadvantage of this water softener is that it must be installed near an electrical outlet.
- Lifetime technical assistance
- Excellent operation
- Installation is simple.
- Lifetime technical support
- Your water contains helpful minerals.
- The unit does not add sodium to your water.
- The product is certified to the ISO 9000 Quality Standard.
- This is not the greatest water softener for preventing iron hardness.
- It must be installed near an electrical outlet.
- A high iron content may impair the efficiency of this product, and you may also require an iron removal filter.
Capacitive Electronic Water Descaler System by YARNA
- HOW IT WORKS BETTER: Yarna CWD24 is a Patented Water Descaler System designed to treat water for the whole house!...
- WHO BENEFITS FROM YARNA: We serve homeowners and small businesses by reducing the negative effects of hard water...
- EASY, CLEAN INSTALLATION: All you need is access to a minimum of 10" of free pipe space with a maximum pipe...
- Installation is simple.
- Descaling is effective.
- Money-back guarantee of a hundred percent
- Highly rapid impulse bands
- Computerized microchips
Yarna makes another water softener that will work exceptionally well to prevent hard water problems. You will have a water softener that is electric and works using electric impulses. You will also have controlled operation using a microchip. The descaler, best of all, will work with the signal frequencies and has an ultra-fast impulse band. The pipe is wrapped around the bands.
What’s the good news? You will have a water softener that will adequately remove the limescale from the water. It will also extend the life of all household equipment. It will aid in the prevention of clogged piping systems and other dull surfaces. Furthermore, the malfunctioning will be fantastic and will not disappoint in removing the toughest water scales.
Not only that, but it will inhibit bacterial growth and provide you with the best drinking water possible. Furthermore, limescale deposits are easily removed. The results of installing this water softener, on the other hand, can take up to two months to appear.
One of the best features of this water softener is the ease with which it can be cleaned. To clean this water softener descaler, you must clear a 10-inch gap, and the water softener’s maximum diameter is 1 inch. You will also have no trouble installing it.
Aside from that, no more equipment is required to install this water softener descaler in your home. Furthermore, it will only take up to 15 minutes to fully install on any piper. But, first, you must select a one-inch-thick pipe from your residence. And there’s more. It is compatible with iron, steel, plastic, stainless steel, PVC, composite, and PEX pipes.
Descaling is preferable to water softening since it does not remove vital minerals. Minerals are, in fact, necessary for the human body. However, hard ions such as calcium and magnesium must be avoided in drinking water. This descaler will avoid up to 99 percent of hard water problems in your home.
Overall, this apartment descaler will be effective in preventing all hard ions. This water softener’s performance will be efficient as well. The corporation offers a 356-day warranty. If you are dissatisfied with the performance of this water softener, you can return it for a full refund within a year.
- Eliminates limescale accumulation
- Healthy minerals are not stripped away.
- There is no specific GPG limit.
- Only 4 watts of power are consumed.
- It is extremely simple to install and requires minimal upkeep.
- It is most effective on all types of water pipelines.
- A 10-year warranty and a 1-year money-back guarantee are included.
- Can’t install outdoors
- More expensive than most descalers
Water Softener WATER BOSS 74011
- A quiet, highly efficient water softener with built-in iron and sediment filters
Small things can be pretty smart. Water Boss intends to provide such items. The Model 74011 little water softener from the company demonstrates that even the smallest device can operate as well as larger systems.
A built-in water filtration system is housed within the tiny shell of this water softener. It has the potential to reduce the amount of iron in the water. This helps to keep your steel water fittings from rusting.
The device also has water treatment technology that removes various contaminants from the water. So not only do you get soft water, but you also get safe and clean water to drink.
The Water Boss 74011’s ultra-fine resin offers more effective water softening. During regeneration, it consumes less water and salt. Special water softener salts, such as cubes, pellets, or crystal salts, are also required for this product. Regrettably, common table salt cannot be used to regenerate the gadget.
You also don’t have to wait that long for the regeneration cycle to be completed. It only takes 17 to 19 minutes to recharge the system and offers you access to fresh, pure water.
The Water Boss 74011 operates quietly, which I appreciate. While it is not silent, it hums much more softly than other systems. As a result, it is the best water softener for small and cramped living spaces.
Regardless, the Water Boss 74011 is one of the best alternatives for a small residence. Your water is softened, filtered, and treated by it. It performs the functions of three separate systems in a slim and compact design. That is what I mean by ‘cool’!
- Reduces the amount of iron in the water
- Other chemicals are removed to ensure safe drinking water.
- Ultra-fine resin is used for successful and cost-effective water treatment.
- Within 19 minutes, the generation cycle is completed.
- For compact living spaces, ultra-quiet operation is required.
- Need to use salt water softener
Water Softener Watts Water Flow-Pur RV-Pro
- Built-in drain line flow restrictor provides a more effective regeneration increasing the capacity by up to 55%
- Custom designed flow valves allow regeneration without having to connect/disconnect the system
- Full cradle base keeps tank more secure than cometing open base tanks. Hardness strips included
Small-home owners searching for a dependable and compact water softener might consider the Watts Water Flow-Pur RV-Pro. This type is a little system that can fit practically anywhere.
The Flow-Pur softens water to prevent corrosion in your water fittings, pipelines, and appliances. It pulls substances that cause hard water and drains them from the system.
As a result, showering is more enjoyable. It’s a piece of cake to wash your garments. The hard water marks and stains on your vehicle and the kitchen sink, tiles, and bathtub have vanished.
This water softener for tiny dwellings that needs no salt is its best feature. While other devices require custom water softener salt formulations, this type recharges the system with just a few pounds of regular table salt.
The Flow-4 Pur’s GPM rating may appear insufficient. You will, however, be relieved to know that the flow is steady. Never again will you be concerned about not having a good time in the shower.
The RV-Pro also includes a cradle base, which helps. The device may be easily secured to practically any surface, thanks to the base. It never sags in its position.
Some consumers complain about the narrow diameter of the canister’s entrance, which makes it challenging to pour table salt for regeneration.
One possibility I see is to use a funnel to reduce salt waste. Another minor flaw in the design is the inlet hose connector, which does not rotate. To connect the system, you must twist the hose itself.
The Flow-Pur RV-modest Pro’s price makes it excellent for tiny and budget-conscious houses. In addition, the device softens water in the same way traditional water softeners do. As a result, it does not necessitate any more space.
- Softens water by reducing the number of hardening chemicals.
- For regeneration, plain table salt is all that is required.
- Optimal water flow rate to provide enough water supply
- It has a cradle base for added security and stability.
- It is reasonably priced.
- a tiny aperture for sprinkling salt
- Connector for a stationary intake hose
Portable Water Softener PRO+AQUA
- PREMIUM PRO FEATURES: Wide 10-3/8" base for maximum stability on uneven surfaces. High Flow ports for minimal...
- PREMIUM VALUE: This Portable Softener & Conditioner produces twice the gallons compared to a standard model and...
- TOP CAPACITY: Designed for portability and durability, this 16,000 grain unit is the perfect choice for serious...
Many users describe the PRO+AQUA Portable RV Water Softener as “small but as strong as standard-sized water softeners.” While its primary application is on recreational vehicles and boats, the PRO+AQUA can also be helpful in modest residences.
This little water softener system outperforms other water softeners of the same size. In reality, the model can give up to 40% more softened water than comparable competitors.
This system can handle water from a municipal or city water plant and a well in your garden. It is an excellent alternative for folks who live off the grid.
Furthermore, the water softener’s resin has a grain rating of 16,000 grains. Therefore, you can enjoy soft water for up to 40 days before recharging the device if you utilize it wisely.
A better economy results from less frequent regeneration. It is also never an issue to regenerate the PRO+AQUA. To replenish the system, use regular table salt. In five minutes, you’ll have your water ready.
I can see why car detailers adore the PRO+AQUA. It has an admirable water flow rate, making it ideal for portable power washers. Its 5-gallon-per-minute flow rate is adequate for washing your car, your house’s walls, and even your garage.
The PRO+AQUA water softener is simple to install. Some customers, however, have complained about not establishing a solid seal when attaching the hose to the ports. A faulty connection can result in leaks.
The AQUA+PRO RVF Water Softener is a dependable system for removing heavy metals from water. It is as efficient as ordinary water softeners while taking up less space. Small families will appreciate having this in their homes.
- Provides 40% more softened water than comparable devices.
- It can be used with either city or healthy water.
- Requires less frequent system regeneration
- For high-pressure applications, it provides a high rate of water flow.
- Table salt is all that is required to regenerate the resin.
- To avoid leaks, an appropriate installation is required.
Hardless NG Lotus Whole House Water Filter and Water Conditioner
- 💧 CLEAN & FRESH WATER - Provide your household with clean and fresh tap water every day. This water conditioner...
- 💧 WHOLE HOUSE WATER FILTER SYSTEM - No need to buy individual filters for all your taps and pipes. This compact...
- 💧 EASIER CLEAN UP - Hard water can cause limescale to form on your shower walls, bathtubs, or sinks. This water...
- Flow rate: 30 GPM
- APMO, NSF, and UPC certified
- 5-Stage Water Filtration System
- Salt-free Regeneration
- limescale and sediment reduction
- Compactness: 4.5 x 6.7 x 10.5 inches
Again, if you’re looking for a 2-in-1 water softener + water filer, Hardless is an excellent second option after Aquasure if you’re on a tight budget.
Though this water softener is the smallest of the bunch, it has much more to offer than meets the eye. The most intriguing aspect of this filter is that it operates on a five-stage softening procedure.
The TIL ROD stage is the first. At this point, the filter begins softening and conditioning the water using highly charged premium resin.
The second stage is made up of phos crystals. To prevent limescale build-up, these crystals alter the structure of the minerals.
The water is sprayed through 25-millimeter mesh filters in the third step. The goal of this mesh filter is to remove any leftover heavy metals.
The fourth stage is a 2-micron filtration procedure. Its purpose is to cleanse the water further and remove any remaining sediment.
In the final stage, the water is cycled through the magnetic bands one last time, softening and conditioning it and preparing it for use.
- Extremely compact
- Removes pollutants and sediments as well.
- There is no need for salt.
- Softens the water with a five-stage generating process.
- You must change them every six months.
Is it possible to install a water softener in an apartment?
Depending on the size and location, this is highly conceivable. It can be for the entire house or a specific location. Most of the water softeners discussed in this piece will fit into any apartment, no matter how small.
Water softeners were created to combat the hard water problem by removing minerals such as calcium and magnesium, among others. This will keep white deposits from collecting in your kitchen dishes and faucets and help your soap develop a good lather. The entire procedure is known as reverse osmosis.
Let’s look at a couple of water softeners that will perform nicely for your flat without breaking the bank. They’ve been tried and trusted to get the job done right.
Why do I need a water softener?
A water softener is a gadget that many families worldwide might benefit from. It all boils down to the type of water a household consumes. Municipal water sources generally contain several minerals that cause water to be “hard.”
This water has a high concentration of dissolved calcium, magnesium, iron, and various other particles.
So what is the drawback of hard water? This causes many home annoyances and, in some cases, infections. As a result, hard water needs more frequent and comprehensive maintenance of your faucets and pipelines. We’ll now look at some of the most common issues produced by hard water.
- Traces on your dishes and faucets — There will undoubtedly be soap scum on your dishes and bathroom fittings. If you allow the water to dry on any surface, it will leave a foggy film behind. Essentially, every customer researching water softeners in 2021 will attest to this being one of the primary difficulties with hard water.
- Your skin will feel it as well – because some unpleasant substance is left behind on surfaces, hard water will make your skin feel drier and itchier. All of this can be avoided with soft water.
- There will be buildup in your pipes – mineral compounds in water are the primary cause of limescale buildup inside your pipes or showerheads. You might also be interested in our reviews of shower filters for hard water and our blog post on water softener showerheads. This also applies to appliances that are susceptible to rough water. This buildup causes considerable damage to your home’s entire water-related infrastructure.
- Water heaters are also in jeopardy, as hard water is one of the leading reasons for heating element inefficiency in tankless water heaters. Not to mention that it may cause significant harm to many components if not properly maintained regularly.
- Corrosion and rust are other possibilities.
- Soap and shampoo are less foamy — hard water can drastically reduce the lather of all hygiene products. As a result, they will be less effective and produce less foam. That is not a good sign.
- Laundry will not be as visually appealing, and items will feel stiffer after being washed in rough water. They will be less vivid, and you may notice yellowish patches on them.
So, now that we’ve covered all of the aforementioned hard water difficulties let’s look at how a softener can help eliminate them. But, before we get into the specifics, let’s go over the primary advantages of water softening.
How did we evaluate the water softeners?
You’re mistaken if you think we just included water softeners for flats based on the brand! There was much to think about while listening to the water softeners from various brands.
Water softeners with good ratings and evaluations for efficient operation can be found in our guide. But, in truth, we tested the water softeners and included the alternatives that provide the most value for the money.
So, if you want to get rid of persistent stains on your bathroom, kitchen appliances, pipes, and other surfaces quickly, it’s time to invest in one.
We understand how inconvenient it may be when hard water stains do not leave your appliances and begin to irritate your skin. Because you’ll need more body washes, detergents, and other washing agents due to the hard water, your bills will rise. In addition, after only one wash, your clothes will appear dull.
Fortunately, the most excellent water softeners are currently available from numerous businesses on the market.
What you should know about water softener for your apartment
Whole-house water softeners are frequently the solution to hard water problems; however, due to how most apartment buildings are plumbed, a typical water softener is not the solution for most apartment inhabitants.
Installing a point-of-entry water softening system is unlikely to be permitted or practicable. Even if you have permission from your landlord to install it, the costly system will undoubtedly become his property if you depart.
If hard water bothers you, it’s undoubtedly bothering your neighbors in the apartment complex and the landlord. Service calls for appliance repairs and plumbing issues can be costly for the building owner; likely, your landlord will eventually recognize the benefits of investing in a POE system for the entire building.
On the other hand, if your landlord isn’t convinced and you’re tired of living with hard water, you may easily change the quality of the water in your own home.
Water treatment at the point of use vs. at the point of entry
If you rent your home and wish to improve your water quality with a water filtration system, you should understand the difference between point of use (POU) and point of entry (POE) techniques. POE systems are put right where the water enters your home.
They are also known as whole-house water treatment systems since they treat all water that enters the household. However, this form of filtration is installed at the main water line. It may be impractical to install if you live in an apartment or condo since the connection required to install is challenging to find and requires authorization from the landlord.
A POU water treatment device is exactly what it sounds like: it is put at the point of use and connects directly to a faucet or shower, purifying only the water that comes from that source. These systems, like a POE, can provide high-quality, great-tasting water by eliminating contaminants.
A point-of-use water purification system is the easiest to install if you live in an apartment or condo. Smaller, more compact systems can readily fit into closets beneath sinks, mobile homes, or apartments, where space is often limited.
Naturally, the size of a water filtration system is a consideration when evaluating the available space. POU water softeners are compact and straightforward to install at a single water connection, usually beneath the sink of your kitchen or bathroom, and treat the portion of the water you use for cleaning, bathing, or drinking. The small amount of room you give up for a filtration system is well worth the outcomes. Your water will be odor-free, delicious, and free of limescale, hard water, and rust stains.
Water softener Types
Before we get into the qualities necessary to look for in a water softener, you should be aware of the different varieties. Water softeners are classified into four types, which are shown below.
- Water Softeners with a Salt Base
- Water Softeners That Do Not Use Salt
- Water Softeners with Dual Tanks
- Water Softeners with Magnetic
Water softeners that use salt
Salt-based water softeners are widely used all over the world. To function, this water softener will require sodium ions. However, sodium is also referred to as resin beads in this context. Salt-based water softeners come in a variety of sizes. Furthermore, water softeners that use magnetic technology to remove hardness from water are less expensive than salt-based water softeners.
Aside from that, salt-based water softeners include an ion-exchange system, and there will be no minerals in the water. In addition, the water softener will remove the toughest ions such as iron, magnesium, and chlorine. Salt-based water softeners are more effective than non-salt-based water softeners since they work through ion exchange.
Furthermore, salt-based water softeners will successfully eliminate minerals that are harmful to humans. Best of all, you will notice changes in your skin, faucets, and other household appliances. Nonetheless, there are some problems with water softener systems that necessitate frequent maintenance. You’ll have the positively charged ions needed for the water softener to function.
On the other hand, the water softener must be refilled with salt every week for maintenance. Aside from that, these water softeners are enormous, while the other types are considerably more compact.
Water softeners that do not use salt
The salt-free water softeners are easily identified by their name. These water softening machines do not require salt and do not need to be serviced regularly. You will have the most convenient alternative for depositing heavy minerals. Aside from that, salt-free water softeners operate differently. For example, they function similarly to template-assisted crystallization.
You’ll have the polymer beads, which have a particular function to help with the neutralization process. Water softeners that have crystallized, on the other hand, will necessitate the neutralizing process. It will undoubtedly prevent scale accumulation caused by hard water.
The salt-free water softener will last at least three years before needing replacement. There will also be more minor variants of salt-free water softeners available. In addition, some water softeners are ideal for long periods.
However, before purchasing a water softener, you should examine the hardness of the water in your home. If your home has a lot of hard water problems, you should install a softener with a high grain capacity and flow rate.
Water softeners with two tanks
Salt-based water softeners with twin tanks are available. You will have tanks that must perform adequately. You will have a single tank for regeneration, and another tank will supply water to the entire house.
Although dual tank softening systems are expensive, they have required if your household has more than six people. This water softener is more expensive, and you must replenish it with salt every few days. In reality, the regeneration process will never come to a halt.
Water softeners that use magnetic
Magnetic water softeners are ideal for tiny areas. You’ll need a pipe that can work with it. You will also have a water softener that does not require maintenance because it is powered by electricity. However, you do not need to purchase a new pipeline or cut the old one to install it in your home.
This type of water softener is ideal for use in tiny places. You’ll need a pipeline, which won’t take up much room. In addition, some models will necessitate the proximity of electrical outlets. Some water softener models require wiring to be connected.
However, this type of water softener will not remove hard minerals from the water. These water softeners include negative and positive strips and effectively counteract hard water’s effects. Furthermore, after installing this type of water softener, several positive and negative charges of minerals will remain in your water. In addition, ions that are soluble in water will be present.
Suppose you need the most affordable water softener for your home to address light hardness issues. In that case, the magnetic water softener is ideal because it does not require an electrical connection.
Selecting a water softener
This is the section where you will find some of our experts’ advice and acquire some insider information before swiping your credit card. We will also make some comparisons between the various sorts of softeners that we have already discussed. So, when making decisions concerning your purchase, here is the area to read.
Before we begin our comparisons, we’d like to provide some of our best general advice. These tidbits of information will undoubtedly aid you in your search for water softeners. Don’t be fooled by what you see on the surface; instead, use those hints to research your next probable house water softening system in-depth.
- You should first consider whether you want a 1-piece softener or a 2-piece softener. In general, a two-piece one is a preferable option. You’ll be fine if you have enough room to fit the system. In addition, a two-piece water softener is typically less expensive, and the electronics, which are positioned on top of the media tank, are isolated from the very corrosive brine solution in the salt tank.
- A 1-piece unit may be preferable for a smaller family. It is not just the size of the unit that is important, but also the workload that it can handle. It will require significantly less salt but also significantly less water. Such a product may be suitable for a household of two, but that is all.
- Select units that are produced with non-proprietary components. Yes, name brands are great due to the assumed quality, but their parts are also somewhat distinctive. You should go for anything that has spare components available at your local hardware store. If the brand name equipment is discontinued or undergoes an overhaul, you won’t be able to purchase spare parts when you need them in 10 years.
- You want to go with tried-and-true technology. Choose a brand that has been around for as long as feasible. Whatever flaws the product may have had, they were most likely resolved long ago. When you spend a lot of money on a water softener, you want it to be dependable.
- It makes a difference who you get it from. Purchasing a water softener locally may be a better alternative because your local dealers will be familiar with the sort of water you have and your specific needs. In addition, they will sit you down and go over everything before you make the purchase. Not to mention the ease with which customer help may be obtained after the fact.
- Look for a miniaturized version of an industrial unit—an industrial softener processes far more water than a household softener. As a result, it must be trustworthy, strong, and durable.
- Determine which softener is suitable. You want something simple to maintain. It is not logical to disassemble the entire body only to change a motor or a filter.
Buying a water softener for an apartment
Some crucial elements to consider when purchasing a water softening machine are as follows.
Their small size
The first and most crucial aspect to look for in a compact softener is the level of compactness they provide.
First, measure the space where you want to place the water softening, and then hunt for a softener that meets the compactness standards.
Bring home any softener even an inch more significant than the one installed, as it will only give you more problems.
It should be simple to set up.
When selecting a compact softener, choose one that does not require additional installation.
Installing a softener in a tiny location can be challenging and stressful because no one wants to stand in a crowded area for 5 to 6 hours. As a result, a softener that can be installed in a matter of minutes is preferable.
Determine the level of hardness.
The first and most important thing to remember when buying a water softener is to assess the water hardness level in your location. If you haven’t done so, you’ll never know how many grains you’ll need to soften your water.
As a result, you will bring the incorrect product with limited grain capacity, which will not be able to soften the water to its fullest extent.
Consider your requirements.
Another item to consider is what you genuinely require. For example, is your water merely hard, or do you have other difficulties, such as pollutants and sediments? Because if there are, you should not rely just on a water softener to fix your problem.
In this situation, you will need to purchase a water filter. However, purchasing both can be costly, so consider a 2-in-1 water filter and softener. It will remove any impurities while also removing hardness.
Select the softening capability of the water softener. To treat hard water, select a water softener with the appropriate water flow capacity. You’ll also get a water softener with a capacity of 0.002 oz. So, for example, three types of hard water might determine its power.
You can set the water hardness level to anything between 0 and 7.5 liters of hard water.
- The soft water will have a gpg of 0 to 3.
- Water with a medium hardness level contains 3.5 to 7 up.
- Hard water is defined as less than 7.5 gpg or up to 7 gpg, and you must install a water softener in your home.
In addition, the capacity of the water softener will necessitate a measurement of how many grains are required to soften the hard water. On the other hand, the small water softener will have a capacity ranging from 16000 to 32000. In addition, water softeners in smaller sizes will be available, making them ideal for RVs, condos, and other tiny spaces.
Water softeners with grain capacities ranging from 40000 to 64000, on the other hand, are ideal for medium-sized homes. Furthermore, large homes should have a grain capacity of 80000 to 10000, which is the most appropriate.
Remember that the water will only be treated if you have the appropriate softening grain capacity. Nothing will change if you install a tiny water softener with the highest hardness setting.
The available area
The most crucial consideration when purchasing a water softener is the available space. First, you must select a water softener based on the size of your home, whether it is salt-based, salt-free, or has a dual tank. Next, you must choose a water softener appropriate for that location. For example, after reviewing the installation specifications, you should select a water softener.
In this guide, you can find water softeners that are ideal for medium and small households. In our evaluation, you can find a wide range of water softeners. Furthermore, certain water softeners can be installed directly on the home pipelines in either the vertical or horizontal direction. At the same time, some require the water line to be hung for one to two feet, depending on the brand. You must choose a water softener style that is appropriate for the size of your home.
On the other hand, salt-free water softeners will be the most portable solution. Furthermore, the portable water softener is an alternative option to our article’s massive salt-based water softening systems.
Furthermore, you should only install a salt-based water softener in your home when the hardness level is at its highest. Furthermore, substantial salt-based water softeners require extensive maintenance and are not designed for RVs or flats.
You should go with magnetic water softeners because they take up less space and require less maintenance. It will also not take up much space or require much alteration, and you can quickly correct it with your pipeline. Best of all, it won’t take up any floor space. We strongly advise putting descalers in flats and RVs because it will be both efficient and helpful.
The flow rate of water
The amount of water that travels through the ion exchange resin over time is another element to consider when purchasing a small water softener. The optimum water softener should deliver the same water flow rate as your home’s water line.
If your water flow rate is five gallons per minute, you should choose a device with the same flow rate. A 3 GPM unit will lower the amount of water from your faucet and other water faucets.
You must also consider how many others will be using water simultaneously. A 3-GPM device is frequently sufficient for a two or three-person household. However, this unit might not be enough for a household of five. This is true if everyone uses water at the same time.
The bypass valve
The bypass valve of the water softener will function properly. You will have a pipe that can close and open and function exactly like a typical valve.
Furthermore, you must install the water softener with the valve because it will deliver water while also regenerating it. Additionally, the bypass valve will operate as a water diverter. Therefore, you can quickly restore direct water access from that valve.
However, if your water softener lacks a valve, you may consider it useless. Aside from that, a bypass valve is required to conserve your all while limiting excessive regeneration. You must avoid wasting both water and salt.
With the bypass valve, you can easily divert the flow of water. As a result, you will have the most straightforward choice to prevent non-softened water from entering your home’s pipes. But, first, you must restore the flow and valve by adequately installing and repositioning the water softener.
Cycles of regeneration
The regeneration cycles are the final feature. You must track how often the water softener recycles the water. You can only verify the regeneration if you know you have a metered system, and it will also have a timed system.
1. Water softeners with metering
Metered water softeners are included with the counter. You will know how many grains are needed to soften the water. Furthermore, the regeneration will be automatic, and you will have the most acceptable choice to stop it when you are not at home. It will be the most excellent alternative to pause regeneration when you are not home or on vacation to save the salt grains.
2. Water softeners with timers
The scheduled water softeners will replenish the water automatically, and you can set the timing. More grains will be used in this softening unit to soften the water. The regeneration levels will also be limited. Aside from that, water softeners with longer intervals will not soften the water perfectly.
Use of salt
Salt-based water softeners are the most efficient. There are also salt-free water softeners available. However, they are not actual water softeners because they do not remove the minerals that hardness water. We refer to these systems as water conditioners instead.
Regeneration of water softeners necessitates the use of salts. As a result, you should monitor the amount of salt required by the system every time it needs to regenerate.
Compare this to the system’s grain capacity. A limited grain capacity system will necessitate more frequent resin regeneration.
You should also examine the type of salt required by the system. For example, some products use regular table salt, while others use specialist salts designed for water softeners.
The prefilled high-charged resin must be present.
A highly charged premium quality resin must be present in your softener. Never compromise on resin quality since the removal of all ions and metals depends on the softener’s standard and quality.
Examine your budget
The most important thing to remember is always to keep a close eye on your money. Don’t go for something out of your price range because it will exacerbate your troubles.
So, if you’re on a tight budget but need a water softener, you should choose a softener with only one feature: softening the water.
You should not consider other features such as digital controls, designs, styles, facilities, etc., because a softener with these characteristics will cost you hundreds of dollars.
How to install a water softener
The advantage of all home filtration systems is that their installation is essentially the same. Learning how to properly install a water softener, on the other hand, can be a difficult undertaking, and if you are unsure, you are better off hiring an expert. In any case, for optimum clarity, we will walk you through the essential steps of the procedure.
- Turn off the main water supply and look for the inlet line inside your garage or basement.
- Cut the pipes after your water meter before entering your home.
- This is where you want to connect your pipe – it should have three valves: one to prevent water from entering the softener, one to prevent water from departing the softener, and one bypass valve.
- Check that the connectors are securely in place and, if necessary, undertake some soldering.
- Connect the media tank to the brine tank via 3/8 plastic tubing (typically included).
- Connect the drain line to the drain elbow using a hose clamp.
- Connect the wastewater drain to the discharge pipe.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What should be the regeneration time of a water softener?
How do portable water softening devices work?
Is it required to clean the brine tank of a water softener?
When is it necessary to add salt to a water softener?
What is the best way to clean a water softener?
After rinsing, fill the tank with 1/4 cup of household bleach and 2 to 3 gallons of water. To destroy any bacteria, allow this mixture to settle for at least 15 minutes. Next, re-rinse the reservoir, reinstall the brine grid, refill with water, and replenish with salt.
Is drinking water from a water softener safe?
Is soft water harmful to copper pipes?
When hard water passes through a softener, it produces softened water. Softened water originally contained a high concentration of minerals and has been returned to a neutral state. As a result, it has no need for or desire for minerals. As a result, it is entirely safe for your pipes.
Does a compact water softener remove sulfur?
How frequently should you regenerate?
Is it possible to use a compact water softener for a large family?
How many people can be reliant on a little water softener?
After reading all the top water softener features, you will undoubtedly be able to select one for your apartment. The flat will have no hard water problems once you have installed the water softener. For example, there will be no stains on the faucets or clothes.
What’s the good news? After installing these water softeners, we investigated and discovered that soap and detergent produce more excellent lather. However, selecting a water softening device is critical based on the hardness level of the water in your apartment.
We promise that no matter whatever water softener you purchase, it will eliminate the challenging water problems. Furthermore, before purchasing a water softener, you should consider its features and price.
Overall, all the water softeners for apartments are NSF certified and high-quality.
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2022-12-05