Are you looking into purchasing a Kinetico water softener? Then you made it to the right place. We have curated a buying guide so you won’t have to.
Kinetico Water Systems Incorporated sells water treatment systems exclusively for residential homes and businesses. It was in the 1970s when engineers Bill Prior and Jim Kewley founded the brand in Newbury, Ohio. In 2006, the company was acquired by Axel Johnson Inc. Despite the acquisition, the company still observes the same principles and manufacturing models it was known for all these years.
As the brand’s name suggests, their water softeners utilize a kinetic process to perform soft water regeneration. In simpler terms, the system depends on the neutral motion of water. The brand is widely known to have first produced the twin-tank demand operated water softener without any electricity requirement. To say that it has been revolutionary is an understatement.
How does it work?
Water softeners from the brand are based on salt and are completely powered by neutral moving water to aid in the removal of calcium and magnesium from local tap water. The local dealers are factory-certified that conveniently offers water tests, consultation appointments, and even your installation needs.
Overall, the company sells three types of softeners: the Essential Series, Signature Series, and Premium Series. For 24/7 soft water availability, opt for either the Signature or Premium series. Take note though that you should contact a local retailer to learn about the prices since they don’t really post any price list on their official website.
On top of that, Kinetico also has water filtration systems such as a reverse osmosis system to take away all the nasty smells and taste out of your water.
Since the products are proprietary, Kinetico water softeners are on the pricier side. They are tied to local dealers for warranty, service, parts, and repairs. A basic softener will cost you about $500 while a premium model can get you up to $500 all-in. Kinetico K5 was priced at $2100. If you opt for advanced systems like a reverse osmosis, you will have to spend more.
Kinetico water softeners
Kinetico series water softeners house all the classic features of the brand’s water softeners. This includes twin tanks, water flow usage rather than electricity, and the on-demand regeneration.
Kinetico Premier Series
This series utilizes a fine mesh of resin instead of the usual resin beads to allow adjustment to a higher flow rate for an even better efficiency. The Premier series’ target market are homes with higher water needs than the usual and those with large pipes. Take note though that experts reveal that they find no significant difference with this series and the Kinetico one when it comes to efficiency.
The most affordable series is the Signature series while still housing twin tanks and on-demand regeneration.
Kinetico Essential Series
The Kinetico Essential Series is relatively new. It’s almost the same as the Signature Series except for the fact that this utilizes rapid regeneration making it more eco-friendly. The rapid regeneration feature means that you’ll always have soft water available since downtime for regeneration is significantly decreased.
This is the only series that requires the use of electricity. Models in this series house a single tank only. In exchange, this is actually less expensive. The Powerline series also boasts of an integrated iron filter for effective removal of iron deposits from your tap water.
Why you should get a Kinetico
No need for electricity (at least for most models!)
As discussed, Kinetico water softeners utilize movement of neutral water so electricity isn’t really required. Non-electric softeners are also less prone to needing repairs here and there and let’s not forget the fact that you don’t need to worry about your monthly electric bills anymore!
Twin tank cylinder design
This design means that your system never stops working, giving you an uninterrupted supply of soft water.
Soft water rinse
It will require less maintenance on your part since these water softeners actually cleans themselves and does so with soft water.
Kinetico water softeners house meters that detect the best time for regeneration so you won’t have to keep guessing. This will overall lead to more savings and less waste. Who doesn’t like that?
This simply means that regeneration takes place from the bottom up. This is a more efficient means to utilize resin beads resulting in less usage of salt, less waste, and a system with longer longevity.
What do people love?
Twin tank feature
The twin tank feature provides soft water 24/7 so this is highly praised.
Third party certification
The Ontario Region of Waterloo in Canada tests the Kinetico water softeners to ensure and uphold top quality performance. A lot of brands don’t get external certification making Kinetico on top of the game.
If you check online platforms, you’ll see that about 70% of the customers are satisfied with the product. If there are any complaints, it mostly points to the price point. But for its quality, people seem pretty happy about it.
Kinetico offers warranties that can go as long as 10 years on parts, depending on the model. This provides a generous amount of peace of mind too!
What do people dislike?
Price list not readily available
Not having a price list upfront is just pure inconvenience especially in this time when prices of most products are easily seen on the internet.
We agree that Kinetico holds one of the highest price ranges when it comes to water softeners. Some retailers even price it higher than the others. Add to that the fact that prices can also go up as you need some repairs done since the parts are not necessarily cheap.
Here are some of the other issues being raised by customers:
- Iron filter not working well enough to remove unwanted tastes and smells
- Produced water has a salty taste
- Overly technical language utilized by Kinetico representatives
- Issues with the filter membrane and ice quality produced by reverse osmosis models
Aquasana Salt-Free Softener and Filter System
- Clean, Great Tasting Water From Every Tap In Your Home - Removes 97% of chlorine, 99.9% of viruses and bacteria and reduces harmful contaminants like lead, mercury, herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, and more.
- High-Performance Well Filter System - UV purifier, salt-free conditioner, carbon & KDF filtration engineered to maximize water purity and reduce scale while leaving healthy minerals in your water. This system will NOT reduce Total Dissolved Solids (TDS).
- Cost Efficient & Long Lasting - Clean water for less than $0.01 a gallon - Save twice as much compared to other brands on purified water for 500,000 gallons or 5 years.
- Easy Maintenance - No draining or back flushing needed - Easily replace pre and post filters every 3 months for best filtration and flow rate.
- System includes filtration tank, conditioner tank, UV filter, 20" pre-filter, post-filter, brass fittings for 1'' or 3/4'' pipes, bend supports, and shut-off valves – Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately. Warranty now covers DIY installation.
- Treats hard water up to 25 ppm
- 1,000,000 gallon capacity
- Exceeds NSF standards
- No use of salt
- Eradicates bacteria, iron, chlorine, sulfide, mercury, lead, manganese, and others
- Comes with pre-filter, copper-zinc, and carbon filtration stages with no standard fittings
- 90-day PURE SATISFACTION Guarantee
Pelican Whole House Filter & Salt Softener
- Wrapped in premium stainless steel to ensure long life, durability and unsurpassed quality
- Pentair Pelican system's preloaded design make them ready to install, minimize steps and save time
- Includes sediment pre-filter system with mounting hardware, minimal filter/media change with the sediment pre-filter every 6 - 9 months
- Non-electric self-priming chemical injector pump, change every 6-12 months
- Non-electric self-priming chemical injector pump provides precise chlorination
- Treats hard water even over 25 ppm
- Comes with a multi-stage filter
- Easy to install
- No electricity or drainage requirement
- No waste water
- Good enough for 1-3 bathrooms
- 90-day satisfaction and 5-year performance guarantee
- Limited lifetime warranty
What is the life spain of Kinetico water softeners?
Typically, they can last up to 20 years or more.
Do they require maintenance?
Kinetico water softeners are actually low maintenance due to the non-electric design. All you have to do is add new salt periodically.
What type of salt does the Kinetico water softener use?
These water softeners utilize evaporated salt in the form of pellets, cubes, or blocks. It is the purest type of sodium chloride and is highly recommended compared to other types of salt to keep your system functioning at its best.
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2021-09-21