Table of Contents
Do you ever wonder what is present in your drinking water? There is a lot that you don’t get on your local municipality, Tap Water Database. Water contains toxins, most of which are reduced to safe levels. However, long-term use of such water can become harmful to the users.
People drink water to quench the thirst after a workout, at night, dietary water, and during every dish of the day. It is not easy to tell what is in your drinking water. You must never be afraid of your drinking water. We have helpful information to educate you on what is present in your glass of water.
What can you add to your drinking water?
Some elements are added in drinking water on purpose in the treatment plant. They cannot be termed as pollutants. Some might stain the water with taste and smell, but they make it healthier. Excessive addition of these elements can be harmful to the consumers. They must be controlled.
Fluoride is usually added to all public water sources in the USA to help maintain clean and healthy teeth of all consumers. Fluoride is common in many kinds of toothpaste to prevent tooth cavity and build the tooth enamel. Fluorides are neurotoxins that damage the endocrine system majorly in kids. Small amounts of fluorides are healthy. Excess fluorides are harmful to the brain.
It is the second most used water additive after fluoride. Chlorine was first used to prevent bacteria growth in the city water supply. It also kills water-borne diseases and pathogens that could be harmful to our health.
However, recent studies have proven that chlorine mixes with water to form hydrochloric acid. When consumed in large amounts, that could lead to impaired balance memory and respiratory problems. Unless you are in the susceptible population bracket, you must never worry about chlorine in your drinking water. It introduces a chemical taste in water.
Water additives to worry about
Chlorine and fluoride are added intentionally to protect you. However, these will hurt you if they are present in your drinking water.
Eating or drinking anything contaminated with lead will bring harm to every organ in your body. It also causes developmental disorders. It is hard to taste lead in water. Inspect your water regularly and replace corroded pipes to keep lead off.
The presence of mercury in your water is hazardous. Ingesting it can cause blindness, brain impairment, mood swings, to mention a few. It mainly gets in your water through air pollution. Since you have no control of this, test and filter your drinking water every day.
This element finds its way to your drinking water via industrial waste. It has adverse health side effects like stomach issues. Consumption in excess triggers cancers or death.
Dioxins originate from smoke, be it burning oil, cigarette, or fires that end up in your water supply. Dioxins are carcinogens and can lead to serious reproductive problems, immune, nervous, and endocrine body system damage.
DDT is popularly used to control malaria and typhus. Once consumed, it can cause liver issues, cancer, and reproductive system damage.
Mainly used in rocket fuels and explosives. It infiltrates to contaminate the underground water. Once you drink the contaminated water, you are going to damage your thyroid, which is a big deal.
Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
This chemical got banned in the 1970s, but its effects are felt up to date. It is an industrial chemical that contaminates water to cause serious health effects. The results are cancer and damages to the endocrine system, the nervous system, and the reproductive system.
This herbicide does people no good when it gets in the drinking water. It also affects animals by damaging the liver, spleen, adrenal glands, and kidneys.
This chemical is banned. It is a pesticide that contaminates water. It can cause death, liver disease, and skin lesions.
Methyl tertiary-butyl ether
It is scary because animals that ingest it have been known to experience seizures, kidney damages, and fetal development issues upon exposure or ingestion.
You must not note the presence of these chemicals in your drinking water. You can still get sick if your water tastes normal because some contaminants are tasteless.
Giardia and cryptosporidium can get in your water if your treatment plan breaks down.
People in rural areas drink a lot of nitrates from fertilizer.
Contaminants will also come from old piping infrastructure.
Imbalanced pH levels can be a direct indication of the heavy contamination of your drinking water.
Don’t give up on drinking water. Drink clean water and separate yourself from people who are affected.
Do a quick pH check to check the level of water contamination. Safe water ranges at a pH of 6.5 and 8.5. Else you need to inspect your water. Use this reference chart to check your water.
- Ocean water – 8 pH
- Tap water – 7.5 pH
- Acid rain – 5 – 5.5 pH
- Bottled_water”>Bottled water – 6.5 – 7.5 pH
- Distilled reverse osmosis water – 5 – 7 pH
- Alkaline labeled bottled water – 8 – 9 pH
- Read about all possible contaminants in your drinking water.
- Test your water-start with a pH test.
- Talk to some professionals and people responsible for the water you are drinking. These are the municipality, landlord, local governments, and local representatives.