Why is Water Filtration Important
Water – The Spice of Life
Water is at the center of the living and non-living existence. Water is very critical for human existence. Did you know that your whole body is about 60% water? A slight decline in that percentage will cause great thirst and dehydration of your body, which is dangerous for your health. All cells in your body are 70-80% water. Water supports all life on earth.
In most instances of our daily lives, we assume that the water we drink is safe. The demand for safe drinking water competes against climate change, increased pollution, and the rapidly growing population. The government has the duty of providing safe water for drinking to the largest part of the population. Tap water supplied may look clean, but it may have contaminants like heavy metals, chlorine, bacteria, pesticide, organic, and inorganic compounds. If the water is not filtered and purified to safe levels, it makes an impact on people’s health shortly after, or long after they use the water.
Some people source their water from wells and boreholes they drill from their backyards. The quality is not guaranteed; hence, testing must be done. People owe to themselves to drink the best quality safe water, no matter who is to blame for it.
What’s in Your Tap Water?
Many people consume tap water directly, assuming that it is safe. However, they could be ingesting impurities carried from the water source and the channels of distributing it. Popular elements found in tap water are:
Chlorine in water treatment is added to water to kill and deactivate bacteria and microbes. Killing the bacteria prevents consumers from getting sick. However, after purifying the water, chlorine ought to be removed before the water is piped to people to consume. Failure to filtering chlorine would lead to congenital disabilities if the expectant mother relied on that water.
Fluorine is added to water in most cities to enhance public health. Since not everyone needs fluorine, you can choose to filter your water before consuming it.
Lead in your tap water comes from old pipes, ignorance for public health, and cost-saving measures on water supply. You can’t trust the government to remove lead from your water. Buy a filter and do it yourself.
Nitrates form naturally on surface and underground water. Nitrates are essential for all living creatures, but high levels are hazardous to women and children. Excess nitrates are caused by septic tanks, fertilizers, industrial waste, and improper waste disposal. Remove nitrates using a filter or distillation.
There are water transmitted viruses, mostly through water and human waste. They cause Hepatitis A, rotavirus, and norovirus. Filtration to remove viruses is highly recommended for rural residents than urban residents. Boiling is the only treatment that is 100% effective in destroying pathogens.
Arsenic can be present in your tap water. It is a potent carcinogenic. It has been linked to the development of several types of cancer.
Water supply from the municipality can contain high levels of aluminum. That could cause Alzheimer disease, learning disabilities in kids, hyperactivity, skin, and liver problems.
- Disinfection Byproducts (DBPs)
Elements that are used to disinfect water e.g., Chlorine, are harmful if not removed before drinking. Most of them are powerful carcinogenic.
These are the eight most common types of water contamination. But what else can you find in your water?
- E. coli
Water Filtration and Water Purification
The main goal of filtering and purifying water is to make it reach safe levels for consumption. Boiling water may only be sufficient to kill harmful micro-organisms, but not new-age chemical contaminants. Governments and municipalities cannot guarantee you total safety for drinking water.
12 Reasons Why You Must Filter Your Tap Water
- Filtering water enhances good taste and smell in water by removing dissolved metals, chemicals, and -micro-organisms.
- Carbon water filters select and remove dangerous contaminants and retain those useful in the body.
- Filtered water is clean, preventing the body from illnesses and enhance general body wellness.
- Water filters bring the convenience of tap water, making it safe for drinking and cooking.
- Filtered water reduces the chances of getting the gastrointestinal disease by 80%.
- Point-of-use filters remove lead before consumption preventing harmful substances from entering people’s bodies.
- Drinking pure water prevents over 2100 known toxins possibly present in drinking water.
- Filtered water enhances the hydration of the skin.
- Filtered water is less costly than bottled water and enhances the reduction of toxic waste on the environment.
- Filtered water reduces the risk of getting certain cancers by removing elements that trigger cancer growth.
- Filtered water is safe for children, and it enhances their immune system.
- Filtered tap water saves the environment from plastic bottles contamination.
10 Reasons to Filter Shower water
- Using shower filters reduce the chances of harmful exposure to chlorine and other chemicals.
- Chlorine-free water nurtures your skin to become softer and healthier hence makes you look younger.
- Removing chlorine from the water makes your hair grow healthier and stronger.
- Removing chlorine from water nourishes your skin, reducing the money you spend on skin lotions and nourishments.
- You need less soap. Without the added chemicals and natural impurities, your water becomes softer. Softer water doesn’t leave the minerals behind that counteracts the properties of soap.
- Showering in filtered water prevents respiratory disorders e.g., bronchitis and asthma, by removing chlorine.
- Children who are allergic to inhaling chlorine are safe when using filtered shower water.
- Chlorine-free water reduces the risk of breast and bladder cancer.
- Filtering water removes chlorine, hence enhance general body wellness and prevent fatigue after showering.
- Chlorine-free water improves the quality of air throughout the house.
Types of Water Filtration Systems
The government’s water supply and safety measures may be compromised to supply water contaminated with chlorine and fluoride. Don’t take the risk of the water contaminants, but instead buy a water filter to get clean and pure water. Some popular water filtration systems are:
Pitcher and Faucet Systems
These are the most popular, cheap, and easy to access and use water filters. They don’t necessarily remove all contaminants, but rather enhance good taste in water. They are inexpensive to maintain, but water filters must be replaced regularly.
Reverse Osmosis Systems
It is mostly placed under your kitchen sink and uses a pump to enhance the osmosis effect. It uses a membrane to separate pure water from contaminants. It is 99% effective but ends up removing minerals that are beneficial to us. Require little maintenance and very useful for family water safety.
Water distillers are usually connected directly to your water supply. Purified water is held in a stainless steel tank of up to 10 gallons capacity. It is an automatic system; hence, one does not require to change filters. It is easy to install and no need for drain access. It is very cheap to use and maintain. Home water distillers are the best plans for comprehensive water need coverage at home. This is the most recommended system.
UltraStream Water Filter and Hydrogen Rich Water Ionizer
This is the most effective water filter, and you get it at the most competitive prices. It alkalizes, ionizes, purifies and infuses your water with molecular hydrogen. This system is highly recommended for your domestic use because:
- It produces alkaline ionized water.
- It removes chlorine, chloramines, fluorides, heavy metals, and more.
- It adds useful alkaline metals.
- It produces molecular hydrogen.
- It is usually tested for the life of the filter.
- It fits in most kitchen taps or under the sink.
Health Benefits of Filtered Water
Drinking, cooking, and bathing in filtered water protect your health. Share this benefit with your loved one by buying a good water filter that will suit the needs they have for pure water. Filtered water is good for your body, water appliances, and the environment.
When people take the required amount of pure, healthy water, they are going to enjoy the following:
- Detoxification of their body.
- Good weight loss.
- Proper nutrient absorption.
- Overall good health.
- Proper skin hydration.
Environmental Benefits of Filtered Water
Many people are familiar with using bottled water. However, many water bottling industries put tap water in bottles; hence, it is no longer safe for drinking. Waste bottles are an environmental hazard today. Using a water filter helps stop water bottle dumping. Other benefits are:
- Reduce the influx of plastic waste that takes centuries to degenerate.
- Producing water bottles uses 3 times water than what it holds. That prevents wastage of clean water.
- You are going to stop recycling of water bottles, which must be cleaned and transported to you for use again.
Reasons You Must Never Fall for Bottled Water
About 40% of water bottlers put tap water and sell it to consumers. Why not purify your tap water and be guaranteed of its safety? Creating water bottles involves use of chemicals like the BPA that disrupts hormones in the body, causing the following effects:
- Breast and prostate cancer.
- Learning and behavioral problems.
- Exposes people to obesity risks.
- Enhance early puberty for boys and girls.
- Altered functioning of the immune system.
Plastic bottles are a tragedy to manage on a global level. Buy water filters and avoid contributing to environmental pollution by plastic bottles because they take centuries to decompose.