Apparently, the water supply of two out of ten households are contaminated with pharmaceuticals, microbes, chlorine, and lead, to name a few. To remedy that, people have been in the market for different kinds of water filters like whole house RO, pitcher filters, faucet filters, and refrigerator filters. If you own a GE (General Electric refrigerator), you’re in the right place because we can provide a solution that’s just right for you.
MWF filters are designed specifically for GE refrigerators. The best ones have the extraordinary power of removing 20 kinds of contaminants from your water supply, including but not limited to the ones mentioned above.
There are a lot of variants that you can choose from and they all have unique features. You can be sure that there is always something that fits your preference and needs. We took the liberty of conducting research for you and now we will give you the ultimate run-down on the top 10 impressive models that we encountered to help you in your decision-making process.
Our Top 10 Best MWF Water Filters:
1. General Electric MWF Refrigerator Water Filter – Premium Choice
- GE guaranteed fit: Compatible with select GE side-by-side and bottom-freezer refrigerators
- Premium filtration: Certified to reduce chlorine-resistant cysts, lead, select pharmaceuticals and 15 other contaminants
- Twist and lock design: Simple design provides easy, tool-free, no-mess filter replacement.Max. Filtered Water Flow (gpm):0.5
- Six-month filter life: For best filtration results, filter cartridge should be replaced every six months or 300 gallons
- GE's most advanced filtration Tested and verified to filter five trace pharmaceuticals, including ibuprofen, progesterone and others
Since MWF filters are designed specifically for GE refrigerators, it is only right that the replacement filter is of the same variant. Based on its NSF certification, it can eliminate a total of 14 different contaminants while the manufacturer claims it can remove up to 20. This is an authentic GE fridge filter which means it is definitely priced higher than most generic filters in the market today.
Among the water pollutants that it can get rid of are chlorine, lead, cysts, asbestos, and certain volatile organic compounds. It also has the capability to cleanse your water of pharmaceuticals such as ibuprofen and progesterone. It may be pricey but it is also heavy-duty.
- Authentic GE Refrigerator Filter
- Compatibility with GE appliances
- Can filter out pharmaceuticals
- NSF certified for effective reduction of 14 contaminants
2. GE MWF Compatible Refrigerator Water Filter
- REPLACES GE MWF
- SUPERIOR WATER FILTRATION
- SAME GREAT QUALITY AT A FRACTION OF THE PRICE
- CHANGE YOUR FILTER EVERY 6 MONTHS
- 100% LIFETIME MONEYBACK GUARANTEE FROM THE MANUFACTURER
Every 6 months, original GE MWF filters might cost you many dollars. This might be a problem for a family on a tight budget. If you share this sentiment, you will require an appropriate aftermarket refrigerator water filter. The Best GE MWF Compatible Refrigerator Water Filter is one of the refrigerator filters that is causing quite a stir among homeowners.
We were able to determine that the primary distinction between the Best and the GE water filter is the pricing. This is around one-third the price of an original unit. Nonetheless, it provides impressive water filtration capability.
Best intended its water filter to operate with GE refrigerators that were compatible. It is a good idea to verify with the company to see if their product will suit your refrigerator. For example, if you have a PHS21100 water filter, you should contact the manufacturer if their water filter would be a suitable replacement.
The Best water filter, like the original, has a long service life. It also has the same capacity, making it not dissimilar to a genuine GE device. The filtration mechanism could be slightly different. Our testing, however, revealed that the best water filter can deliver as refreshing and safe water to drink.
Here’s the genuine sour note regarding the best product. True, it works just like a genuine GE filter. It is crucial to note, however, that the original has an NSF-53 classification. There is no such accreditation for the Best filter.
- A good substitute for the original GE MWF filter.
- Service life is extended
- Simple to install and use
- Effective at eliminating various particles from water
- Reasonably priced
- Not as efficient as a genuine GE MWF filter.
3. Pureza Filter PF8 MWF Water Filter – Best Value
- Premium GE Water Filter MWF Replacement: Sri Lanka activated carbon has the best filtration effect, retains beneficial minerals while removing impurities in water, serving you a superior grade of filtered water.
- Water Filter for GE Profile Refrigerator Model: fmg-1 Refrigerator Water Filter GE, GE MWF Water Filter, GE MWFP Water Filter, GE MWFA Water Filter, GE MWFAP Water Filter, GE MWFINT Water Filter, GE GWF Water Filter, GE GWF01 Water Filter, GE GWF06 Water FIlter, GE GWFA Water Filter, GE HWF Water Filter, GE HWFA Water Filter, Ge FMG-1 Water FIlter, GE FMG Water FIlter. Kenmore 46-9991 Water Filter, Kenmore 46 9991 Water Filter, Kenmore 469991 Water Filter, Kenmore 9991 Water Filter etc.
- MARRIOTTO MR8 GE Water Filter Replacement Statement: The materials and construction are in compliance with the NSF/42 standard. Not Performance Tested or Certified by NSF. Tested & verified by independent laboratory testing, MR8 ge refrigerator water filter Tested at a flow rate of 0.528 gpm to a capacity of 200 gallons for the reduction of Chlorine.
- Find NSF 42 Standard information: The following claims have not been tested and certified by NSF. Go to NSF’s database. Enter “MR8” in the Brand Name/Model Field. If you find that the product is not NSF42 certified, you can claims identified in the NSF listing.
- 6 Months Filter Life: For best filtration results, ge fridge water filter replacement should be replaced every six months or 300 gallons. Safer drinking, MARRIOTTO that protect whole family.
A water supply that’s filled with pharmaceuticals does not apply to a lot of households. It only usually occurs in specific areas where there is an industrial plant nearby but in general, the typical water supply does not contain a lot of that kind of contaminant. In that case, you won’t need a fancy filter especially when you’re on a budget.
The Pureza Filters PF8 MWF filter cartridge takes care of your wallet and your water supply at the same time. In a single pack of filters, you get three different kinds of filters for the price of just one filter of another brand. You do not have to worry about the efficiency and reliability because it also has a NSF 42 certification. Say goodbye to that unpleasant taste and odor of chlorine in your water with this budget-friendly filter.
- Three filters for the price of one
- Only removes chlorine
4. ICEPURE PRO MWF Refrigerator Water Filters
- 💧Authoritative Certifications- ICEPURE RWF0600A replacement for GE MWF refrigerator water filter bears major Authoritative Certifications on markets, such as NSF/ANSI 42 & 372 Lead-Free from NSF and IAPMO, European Food Grade Regulations EC-1935/2016, ROHS, REACH, BPA-Free, TUV and Australian Water Mark. 42 & 372 Lead-Free from NSF and IAPMO, European Food Grade Regulations EC-1935/2016, ROHS, REACH, BPA-Free, TUV and Australian Water Mark.
- 💧Efficient Filtration Capacity- ICEPURE RWF0600A refrigerator water filter replacement for Kenmore 9991 reduces substances from your water including 99% of Chlorine, THM, VOCs, Particles and all other major impurities.
- 💧 Premium Materials- BPA-free and food-grade materials.
- 💧Compatible Models-GWFA, GWF01, GWF06, MWFAP, MWFINT, HWF, HWFA, WMF, Kenmore 46-9991, 469991, 9991, 46 9991, 469996, 9996, 46 9996, PL-100, GF-MWF, WD-MWF, EBL7771, CF8, WFC1201, AQF-MWF, RWF0600A, RWF0600AH, PP-RWF0600A, FL-RF13, WS613B, MB-MWF, PF8, RWF1060, CWMF031, WSG-1,CLCH102, GEMWF, CW-G1.
- 💧Great value for money- ICEPURE filters are made with Premium materials, Efficient Filtration, Authoritative Certifications and advanced technologies but at an affordable price. Saving you money while giving you quality filtration.
This is another budget-friendly find. Just like the Pureza model, you also get three filters in a pack at quite a reasonable price with each filter having a six-month guarantee. Icepure Pro MWF filter is not a premium filter so it does not filter out pharmaceuticals like other high-standard models but it can still effectively eliminate more than 20 contaminants which is already impressive considering its price.
It can still perform top notch filtering of chlorine, lead, and mercury, to name a few. Your drinking water will still be free from the chlorine odor and taste and still be safe for drinking.
- Three filters in one pack
- Six months guarantee for each filter
- Not suitable for removal of pharmaceuticals
5. Waterdrop WDS MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
- This GE MWF refrigerator water filter replacement by Waterdrop, despite its affordable price, offers the best - a mix of prior filtration performance and important certifications from the well-known regulatory body in the industry – NSF 42 and NSF 372 certificates.
- 360° comprehensive protection: Be aware of the claimed certification. Our filters are comprehensively certifiedby the NSF 42&372 test from each components to the filter cartridge as a whole, providing you all-round protection from harmful impurities.
- [Advance filtration process] If you have been looking for a way to reduce harmful impurities from your drinking water, the solution is here. This GE MWF replacement water filter effectively filters off impurities from your water.
- [Perfect fit] You can now worry less about water leakages due to unfit or loose replacement refrigerator filters. This Waterdrop refrigerator filter replacement is made from an advanced industrial automation system and a precision measurement technology that ensures that you get the same fit as the original. Moreover, you need no tool to install this refrigerator water filter. Just follow the installation guidelines we have provided, and you will be done in minutes.
- [Top-notch filter material] Here, you are getting a significant improvement to the less-efficient charcoal filter that relies on coal, wood, walnut shell, and apricot shell to filter water. The filter material in this filter is a 100% Sri Lankan selected coconut shell carbon block, with 2x larger surface area and more micropores. Unlike the cheap and mixed carbon block, the filter material in the Waterdrop refrigerator filter improves the overall taste of your water.
Here is another three-in-one filter pack with outstanding performance. The NSF awarded this model with three certifications, which means it has proven itself to be effective in the removal of a lot of contaminants and the quality is also reliable. Waterdrop WDS MWF Refrigerator Water Filters has a 0.5 micron pore size that keeps chlorine, lead, benzene, and cysts from your drinking water.
The only downside is that it cannot eliminate dissolved pharmaceuticals but that may not be necessary if your water does not contain that. Also, expect a slower flow rate in your water because of the pore size of the filter.
- Three filters in one pack
- Three NSF certifications
- 0.5 micron filtration size
- Cannot remove pharmaceuticals
- Slows down the water flow rate
6. FilterLogic MWF Refrigerator Water Filters
- Certified to NSF 42 to significantly improve water quality by reducing chlorine, taste and odor
- Certified to NSF 372 for lead-free material, giving you the basic protection
- Provides 6 months or 300 gallons of refreshing water for the average household
- Leak-proof technology allows for precise fit without water leaks. Accurate and simple design makes installation easy without tools required
- Replacement for SmartWater, MWFP, HDX FMG-1, Waterfall Filter WFC1201, GSE25GSHECSS, GWF, PC75009, RWF1060, 197D6321P006, GE MWFA, GWF01, GWFA, GWF06, Kenmore 9991, 46-9991, 469991, 46 9991, 9996, 46-9996, 46 9996, 469996
We noticed that the filters that come in 3’s per pack does not remove pharmaceuticals in your water. This is another one of those affordable filter replacements that are packed in 3’s and cost a lot less than single-packed filters of other brands. Not to worry though, because it is still very efficient in the removal of the primary water contaminants like chloride and lead. That can be attested with the multiple NSF certifications that this model has.
The drawback of this product is that you waste a lot of water during the initial priming of the filter. It requires around three gallons for the priming which is very discouraging and a severe waste of good water.
- Cheap price
- Three filters in one pack
- NSF Certifications
- Does not eliminate pharmaceuticals
- You waste three gallons of water for priming
7. AQUACREST MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
- 💧What you get in this AQUACREST refrigerator water filter is an excellent prior filtration performance that stands on par with what you get from the original brand, backed by the standard NSF 42 and 372 certifications. Unlike the generic brands, our refrigerator water filter relies on the 100% superior coconut shell carbon block to get rid of different types of impurities from your water.
- 💧Excellent filtration beyond your mind: AQUACREST water filters can reduce such a wide range of harmful substances at a go including suspended particles, copper, VOCs, THM, chromium and chlorine from your drinking water. An independent third-party laboratory has verified this claim.
- 💧100% fit: The precise production technology adopted by AQUACREST in this refrigerator water filter means you get a perfect fit, just like the original scale. Besides, AQUACREST ensures that this DIY process will not take you more than a few minutes.
- 💧High-quality filter material: AQUACREST brings you an upgrade with a 100% selected coconut shell carbon block. The surface area is larger. There are also more micropores to increase the filtration process’s efficiency, giving no chance to impurities like bad taste and odor, sediments, chlorine, and heavy metals.
- 💧Month install stickers: This filter comes with stickers that help you mark the installation date. Now you can worry less about overusing your filter, thanks to this simple yet effective replacement date reminder. You get up to 6 months or 300 gallons of pure-tasting water, depending on the conditions of your water.
Aquacrest MWF filters remove the non-essential elements such as lead and chlorine, thereby improving the taste of your drinking water. At the same time, it preserves the essential electrolytes that you need from a healthy glass of water. This also comes in three filters in a single pack while costing a lot less than most individual filters.
If you suspected that it also won’t remove pharmaceuticals then you guessed right. However, it has an efficient activated carbon filter that can eliminate the majority of chlorine and lead content along with other organic substances.
- Budget-friendly pick
- 3-in-1 package
- Can remove volatile organic compounds
- Cannot remove pharmaceuticals and other chemical substances
8. Waterspecialist MWF Refrigerator Water-Filters
- The Waterspecialist refrigerator water filter features filtration performance is comparable to the original brand. It is also certified by authority NSF 42 and 372. Far different from generic brand, Waterspecialist only adopts 100% superior coconut shell carbon block to improve taste and odor.
- 【Great filtration】Waterspecialist refrigerator filters can reduce many harmful substances in water including heavy metals, chlorine, odor, THM, VOCs (volatile organic compounds), particles, copper, cadmium, chromium, and all other major impurities. This has been tested and proven by an independent third-party laboratory.
- 【Premium filter material】Waterspecialist selected BPA-free and food-grade filter housing that passed NSF 372 certification for lead-free filtration. We also adopt 100% coconut shell carbon block that contains larger surface area and more micropores than inferior carbon block. Thus, the filter cartridge can efficiently reduce chlorine, bad taste and odor.
- 【Perfect fit】Waterspecialist combines precision measurement technology to produce 100% fit refrigerator filters with exquisite engineering designs, unlike inferior replacement filters that can cause water leakage issues. Also, Waterspecialist saves you time and hassle by offering tool-free refrigerator filter replacements.
- 【Fresh-tasting water】The 100% coconut shell carbon block absorbs more impurities than low-priced and mixed carbon block. The Waterspecialist refrigerator filter provides you a unique filtration experience.
We always love these 3-in-1 deals so allow us to share another one with you. Since each filter lasts for six months, you won’t have to purchase another pack for the next one year and six months.
Waterspecialist MWF Refrigerator Water Filter can remove a good amount of chlorine, lead, and mercury but not pharmaceuticals. But we have to warn you about the downsides of this product. It has quite a slow flow rate. What’s worse is that some of the filters weren’t as effective in improving the taste of the filtered water. We’re not sure whether it varies upon the particular unit or the manufacturer has an issue in maintaining the consistency of the quality of the products.
- 3 filters in one pack
- Slow flow rate
- The resulting water from some filters did not taste good
- Does not remove pharmaceutical contaminants
9. GLACIER FRESH MWF Refrigerator Water-Filter
For a change, the Glacier Fresh MWF Refrigerator Water Filter Cartridge does not come in 3’s anymore so it does cost a little bit more. The NSF 42 certification guarantees a 97% chlorine elimination from your water supply. But that’s where the benefits stop. It only improves water quality through chlorine removal but does not take care of other contaminants, especially pharmaceuticals.
It also has a pretty low capacity compared to other filters of similar specifications. Filters with a 6-month lifespan usually have 300 gallons capacity but this model can only cater 200 gallons which is a huge drawback.
- Reasonable price
- Removes chlorine
- Improves water taste
- Pricier than 3-in-1 filter packs
- Does not remove pharmaceuticals
- 100 gallons less capacity than the average
10. EcoBlueLife EBL7771 MWF Water Filters
- Effectively reduces chlorine taste and odor as well as typical contaminants found in tap water.
- Get healthier drinking water for less money – a cost effective alternative to OEM filters.
- Made from renewable Activated Carbon Media – environmentally friendly.
- Quick and easy to install – Our filters are the same size and shape as the factory model at a fraction of the cost. Best water filter value.
- EcoBlueLife EBL7771 is Specifically designed for GE, MWF, MWFA, GWF, GWF01, GWFA, GWF06, and Kenmore 9991,46-9991, 469991.
The EcoBlueLife EBL7771 MWF Refrigerator Water Filter’s price is more than 50% less than the authentic GE refrigerator filters but it still costs more than the 3-in-1 filter packs we have mentioned before. Even so, we noticed that the filters that come in 3’s offer more value for their cost.
Nonetheless, we still commend this model for its activated carbon filter that is able to eliminate chlorine and other foreign contaminants except for pharmaceuticals, but we already knew that. However, even with the removal of chlorine, the water was still not as appealing to the taste as we expected. Those are the reasons why we put this product last on the list.
- More than 50% less than the price of authentic GE filters
- One filter only per pack
- Still expensive for its value
- Cannot remove pharmaceuticals
MWF Water Filters and Why You Need It
Clean water is essential for survival and maintenance of normal body functions. We need it for energy, temperature regulation, metabolism, and other physiological processes. Since we cannot be entirely confident of the safety and purity of the water that comes out directly from our tap, a filtration system is our answer to that uncertainty.
It is important that the MWF filter is replaced when necessary in GE refrigerators. Bacteria and other microorganisms as well as other contaminants accumulate in moist and water, which are not absent in refrigerators.
MWF filters cleanse your water from unwanted content and provide you with safe drinking water stripped of potential contaminants that are likely to cause harm to your health. Bacteria that cause waterborne diseases are prevented from multiplying and are even eradicated, thereby reducing your risk of acquiring the diseases. Quality drinking water also effectively flushes out toxins from your body and moisturizes your skin.
We highly recommend replacing your old MWF filter or buying one in case you have not used one before. It won’t cost you much and it is also one of the most efficient types of water filters in the market today.
How It Works
MWF filters work no differently than the rest of the other types of water filters. The main objective is to clear out the foreign particles and extraneous matter that compromises water quality and safety.
These can be in the form of debris, rust, sediments, heavy metals, mineral deposits, organic chemicals, disinfectants, bacteria, viruses, other pathogens, and many others. The primary filter media being used is an activated carbon that draws in the contaminant particles to its surface, leaving your water clear and pure.
Filtration usually consists of three stages – the first stage being responsible for the large particles, the second one for the finer particles, and the final stage takes care of the remnants from the first two stages.
MWF filters usually last around 6 months before they need replacement. Some indicators of this can be when ice forms in your refrigerator or when you notice a change in the smell or taste of your water.
Failing to do so will result in a loss in the efficiency of your filter’s performance and instead of getting clean water, you will end up having unfiltered water again. This is because the filter media have run out of space on their surfaces for new particles to adhere to so they remain in your water. There is also a chance that the contaminant particles on the surface of the filter media will be washed away by the water supply and will even add to the pollutants of your water.
Types of MWF Water Filters
There are many variants of MWF filters in terms of location and type. We listed them down below.
- Grille Water Filters
From the name itself, this water can be found near the grille inside your refrigerator. Since they are already pre-installed, all you need to do is replace it when it reaches its lifespan. They are also known as push-in filters and they are hidden from view in a cylindrical container.
- Drop-Down Water Filters
This type of filter does not take up too much space in the interior of your refrigerator because of its well-concealed location. It is located near the food compartment area in a drop-down container. However, with this location comes a slight hassle in installation and replacement.
- Slide-Out Water Filters
Just like the grille-type filters, they are also well-concealed and only need a push of a button to eject. This type is among those that are not that difficult to replace and maintain.
- Canister Water Filters
Canister water filters are typically placed behind the food compartment of your refrigerator and are styled differently depending on the manufacturer. Brands have different ejection styles for this type of filter. You can either turn it or you may need to use a wrench to eject it from its plastic container.
When it comes to replacing the filter, it is more secure with the latter kind of containment. It has an O-ring gasket that contributes to the filtration process. However, you will also need to replace this for every three filter replacements that you do to keep it running smoothly.
- Inline Water Filters
For this last filter, the inline filters is typically located behind your fridge connected to the inbound water line that goes into the appliance itself. These are usually in older refrigerator models that do not have grille filters. Because of its location, installation and replacement will be a little bit of a hassle.
Advantages of a GE MWF Water Filter
It takes more than just going through customer feedback and conducting product research to reach a decision on whether or not something is really worth the purchase. You also have to weigh the pros and cons of owning the product, figure out if it is really worth the investment. Allow us to give you an overview.
- Gives you clean drinking water
A smaller micron size means a finer filtration size that can capture small contaminant particles. 20 microns is the typical rating for most filters that employ activated carbon. This can already filter out chlorine, heavy metals, and various kinds of chemical substances. The water you get is safe for drinking and culinary use.
- Improve quality of your water
When your water is stripped of the pollutants, its taste and scent will also improve. Purified drinking water is a lot more palatable and thirst-quenching compared to unfiltered water.
- Prevention of waterborne diseases
Moist spots and stagnant water are favorite spots of microorganisms to inhabit and reproduce in. Refrigerators are no exception. Filters help reduce the accumulation of these microbes by constantly cleansing your water supply and lessen the risk of having these biological contaminants. Thus, protecting you from the possibility of acquiring diseases that are obtained from dirty water especially from the bacteria that harm the gastrointestinal system.
Disadvantages of a GE MWF Water Filter
- Low-grade filters
The most common type of filter media used is activated carbon. This is the most efficient as well because it is used by almost all kinds of water filters from large, heavy-duty ones down to smaller ones. Carbon has the ability to adsorb solid particles which makes it a safe and efficient water cleanser.
But not all water filter models use this material, especially the low-costing models which could possibly compromise the filtration capacity of the unit. Your water may not be thoroughly purified and the unit might have defects that result in your water being filled with even more contaminants than before.
- Relatively short lifespan
Majority of these filters only last around 6 months and then you’ll have to replace it with a new one. If you use the filter beyond that span of time, you run the risk of having unfiltered water and even expose your water to more contaminants that are already on the filter media.
A Buyer’s Criteria Guide for MWF Water Filters
Installing a MWF water filter is an effective way to reduce the risk of attracting microorganisms and disease-causing waterborne bacteria to your water supply. Refrigerators utilize water so it is one of the places in our homes where bacteria can accumulate. Aside from that, you get to enjoy clean and fresh drinking water straight out from your refrigerator and even use it for preparing food.
There are many specifications for MWF filters just like every other device. Models may vary in the specific functions that they perform and features that they have. Below are some considerations you need to keep in mind when choosing the perfect filter for your fridge.
- Appliance Compatibility
Not all filter models go with all refrigerators. Fridges have different styles and locations of the compartments for the filter. You need to know the model and design of your refrigerator first before you look for the filter that goes with it. It is pointless to have a filter that does not match the fridge you own because there is no workaround for that. We highly advise selecting a dedicated filter that’s designed specially for your fridge. Universal filters can be good too but they might be more prone to leaking issues.
- Certifications from Authorized Bodies
Before a product is launched in the market, it is typically subjected to quality testing by authorized regulating bodies. In terms of water filters, the National Sanitation Foundation International is one of the authorities that issue certifications to products that passed their quality tests. You should know that these tests have very high standards so if a product has a certification from this regulating body, you can be assured that it is of high quality, performs efficiently, and proven safe for public use.
- Filtering Power
The micron pore size is a vital factor in determining the extent of what a filter can cleanse from your water. The lower the micron rate, the more contaminants and smaller particles the filter is able to eliminate. Activated carbon filter is the common filter media being used today and it has a 20 micron level.
Filter Type and Location
This is important because it determines the level of hassle you have to go through when you install the filter and every time you replace it. Some refrigerators hide their filters in inconvenient places while there are those that place them in easily accessible spots. The location depends on the kind of filter.
- Lifespan and Filtering Capacity
The typical lifespan of a MWF filter is 6 months with the usual capacity of 300 gallons. They perform well during the first few months. Make sure not to use them beyond that span of time so you won’t risk getting the opposite effect of the filter.
- Convenience in installation and operation
There are filters that are quite easy to handle and install. Most of these you can just take care of by yourself and there is also an instruction manual that comes with the unit package. Nonetheless, it is still preferable for you to choose one that does not require any special help.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does a MWF filter usually last?
On average use, six months is the maximum expected lifespan of a MWF filter. However, this can either be lengthened or shortened depending on a number of factors such as the frequency and volume of your consumption and the quality of your water.
If your water supply is heavily contaminated, then the filter will have to exert more effort and the filter media will have a shorter lifespan as it will carry more contaminants and reach its capacity sooner than expected.
Lastly, if you do not consume that much water on a daily basis, then the filter will definitely last longer. Most filters with 300 gallons capacity can last up to 300 days if you only consume a gallon every single day.
How do you maintain a MWF filter?
Detach the filter from the appliance first.
1. Remove the large contaminant particles that may have stuck to the surface of the filter media.
2. Prepare a solution of warm water with a mild cleanser or vinegar and mild dish soap if a cleanser is unavailable. Do not use strong chemical disinfectants.
3. Immerse the filter media in the cleansing solution for 20-30 minutes.
4, Rinse it by running it under flowing water until the water is clear.
5. Air dry the filter before reattaching to your refrigerator.
There are modern filter models with indicator panels to tell you about the status of the filter media but they are quite expensive.
For models that do have this feature, if you begin to notice a slight change in the taste or odor of your drinking water, it may be an indication that it needs cleaning or total replacement.
How to change a GE MWF refrigerator water filter?
For most refrigerator models, you just have to twist the filter counterclockwise and it will slide out of the compartment. Pour in a small amount of water to assist with the flow after installation then insert it back in.
Twist it back in a clockwise direction but do not use force. The cartridge will automatically reposition itself in place. Remember to prime the filter for a few minutes first.
Is it necessary to turn off the water to change the water filter?
The water supply automatically shuts off when you detach the filter. You do not need to do this manually.
We can’t stress enough how vital it is that we intake clean drinking water. For General Electric refrigerators, which is a very common appliance and usually the source of many households for their drinking water, MWF filters ensure the cleanliness of the water that runs through the fridge. Once this filter reaches the end of its lifespan, you can choose from the wide variety of replacements available in the market today.
There are generic MWF filters that cost less. There are also authentic GE filters that are quite expensive. Each one with their pros and cons which we already narrowed down for you above.
To summarize, our top picks are:
The Pureza Filters PF8 MWF water filter is our pick for best value for money. This is the generic filter replacement that comes in three replacement filters in a single pack at a price less than the individual pack.
And lastly, if you are not that conscious about your budget, we highly recommend the authentic GE water filter replacement for premium performance. It can remove pharmaceuticals plus up to 15 other water contaminants and is compatible with majority of GE refrigerators.
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2021-09-21