Are you dissatisfied with the quality of your home’s water? Tired of the rotten egg odor emanating from your bathroom drains?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you probably have a popular lime and scale cleanser stowed away to clean the bathtub once a week. That is about to change with these fantastic home items! On this page, we have selected the top shower head filters and will go into detail with each of the products listed.
The most effective water softener shower heads
We did the legwork and found the four finest shower head water softening systems based on customer ratings, features, warranties, and costs. View a synopsis of each system in the table below, and scroll down for further information on each…
Aqua Eva Luxury Water Softener Shower Head
- HEALTH CARE SHOWER SYSTEM: Our top-rated showerhead is composed of premium METAL, and internal filter cartridge with Vitamin C + E . With 15-stages shower filter, this rain shower head set will amaze you by the latest design and shower water filtration technology
- WATER PURIFIER: Reduces chlorine, heavy metals, rust, sand and other sediments.
- REVITALIZING BODY: KDF 55, Alkaline Ceramic Balls, Activated carbon, Calcium Sulfite and other filtering materials ensures best effect of water quality purification.
- EFFORT-FREE CONNECTION: No need to ask for help! Installs in minutes with just one hand-tighten connection. Fits any standard shower types, including wall-mounted, rainfall and handheld showers. No tools required
- STYLISH GIFT BOX & BONUSES: With this rain shower head and cartridge Vitamin C+E you get a premium gift box with five nice shower caps and Teflon tape. Satisfied and happy customers are the highest priority for us
Logically, the more times a product is filtered, the purer it becomes. Aqua Eva filters our shower water fifteen times in a row. Water is filtered using a variety of beads, cotton mesh, stainless steel mesh, medicinal stones, and magnetized filtration balls (to catch heavy metals).
This water softener shower head offers a no-leak guarantee and releases water at high pressure. It doesn’t require any equipment to install, and it comes with a complete package that includes a rain showerhead. The inlets and outlets have a diameter of half an inch. It can be used with both hot and cold water.
The filter is connected to the showerhead via a flexible connection that allows you to modify the angle of your showerhead from 35° to 78°. The filter is 3.3 inches in width and 4.7 inches in height. The diameter of the rain shower head is 4.5 inches. The filter is effective against chlorine, sand, and sediment.
While this package includes a showerhead, the filter is compatible with any showerheads, including hand-held, adjustable, and wall-mounted models. It also comes with some accessories, such as Teflon tape and five shower caps.
- It comes with a showerhead and has a flow rate of 2.5 GPM.
- Your shower water is filtered through 15 steps.
- KDF 55, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Activated Carbon, Calcium Sulfite, and other filtering beads such as alkaline ceramic beads and negative ion balls are included in these phases.
- This showerhead does not extract calcium from your shower water, despite having 15 filtration layers and a calcium sulfite layer.
Culligan Wall-Mount Filtered Shower Head
- Provide your shower with ideal water for softer and cleaner skin and hair. FILTER LIFE: Up to 6 months or 10,000 gallons, depending on usage and filtration load
- FEATURES: Included WHR-140 filter cartridge reduces sulfur odor, chlorine, and scale; Patented filter media bacteriostatic that limits passage and growth of bacteria; Includes Teflon tape, cartridge reminder sticker, and installation instructions
- COMPATIBILITY: Installs on any standard 1/2-inch threaded shower arm; Culligan WHR-140 filter cartridge; 40°F-120°F temperature range
- CERTIFICATION: Tested and certified by IAPMO to ANSI standard 177; meets EPA WaterSense certification standard of maximum 1.8 gallons per minute or less; 1-year warranty
- Size: 4.8 x 8.5 x 12.2 inches
- 1.58 pound weight
- Showerhead type
- Duration: 6 months (10,000 gallons)
- Chlorine and limescale are the filters’ primary targets.
- 2.0 GPM flow rate
- Warranty: A 5-year limited warranty is provided.
It’s simple to see why this is a customer favorite on Amazon.
Not only do you get a softening solution, but you also get numerous spray head settings, ranging from light rain to full massage. Simply remove your present shower head and replace it at the same joint, and the filters are inexpensive and readily replaced as necessary.
- Five-year warranty for shower heads designed to be fitted as fixed shower heads.
- Reduces chlorine, sulfur odor, heavy metals, and scale by 99 percent.
- Under typical conditions, the filter lasts 10,000 gallons or 6 months.
- The showerhead that comes with it has five massaging settings.
- It is ANSI 177 certified.
- Its rubber spray nozzles provide anti-clogging qualities.
- Because the space between you and the wall is so close, you may feel restricted while showering. If you require extra space, you will need to purchase an expandable shower arm.
- Produced from chrome-colored plastic
- The water stream in the shower is less than five inches wide. The massage setting can be a touch harsh if you have sensitive skin, but give it a try.
In contrast to other variants, this showerhead does not have a separate filter cartridge. Instead, the filter is housed within the showerhead. The item is simple to clean if the spray nozzles become clogged, and it’s a refreshing variation from the typical water softening shower head.
Best suited for – anyone looking for a quick shower water softener solution at a low cost. Customer reviews are not deceptive!
Culligan ISH-100 Inline Showerhead
- Provide your shower with ideal water for softer and cleaner skin and hair
- Features: Included WHR-140 filter reduces sulfur odor, chlorine, and scale; Patented filter media that limits passage and growth of bacteria; Includes Teflon tape and change reminder sticker
- Compatibility: Installs on any standard 1/2" threaded shower arm; Culligan WHR-140 filter cartridge
- Filter Life: Up to 6 months or 10,000 gallons, depending on usage and filtration load
- Certification: Tested and certified by IAPMO R&T against ANSI Standard 177
This product just includes the inline filter rather than the entire shower head unit; however, a shower head to go with the filter can be purchased separately. Regardless of which option you choose, the ease of installation and filter maintenance is a bonus. After you’ve built this system, you’ll need to decide whether you want a hand-held or a fixed shower unit to go with it.
- Reduces chlorine, sulfur stink, and scale, resulting in cleaner skin and bath surfaces.
- Skin and hair are not dried out; a five-year warranty is provided.
- Some people have reported leaking around the fittings, although plumber’s silicone tape can help with this.
- Because it is entirely made of plastic, use caution during installation to avoid stripping threads.
- Not as visually appealing as some installations
The Culligan Level 2 Inline Shower Head Filter is one of the things I would recommend because it not only accomplishes the job correctly, but it also does it extremely nicely. Also, I believe it is important to emphasize that it is a unit that will help you save a significant amount of money in the long term. And that is something you want to have if you are on a tight budget.
Customers who desire a permanent hard water solution with the option of changing the shower head to a handheld shower are best suited.
AquaBliss SF100 High Output Universal Shower Head Filter
- DAY 1 - IMMEDIATELY BEGINS REJUVENATING SKIN, HAIR & NAILS: HARD, chlorinated, chemical ridden water causing itchy skin, flaky dandruff, eczema, bone-dry hair and brittle nails? Let our UNIQUE, PROPRIETARY SYSTEMS MULTI-STAGE sediment filters, redox media, calcium sulfite, activated carbon and ceramic beads deliver MAXIMUM WATER FILTRATION to NEUTRALIZE ODORS, balance out your PH levels and INFUSE BENEFICIAL MINERALS into your skin, nails and hair from the first time you turn it on!
- ACTUALLY WORKS - EXPERIENCE THE CLEANEST CLEAN: MOST filters for showers eliminate some chemicals for a short time, but do nothing to restore the damage done to your hair, nails and skin. Our ADVANCED MULTI-STAGE HEALTH FILTER reduces Chlorine, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, dirt, odors, helps control scale buildup plus restores what your hard, chemical filled water did to your hair, skin and nails!
- JUST .09 CENTS/DAY: WHAT is your HEALTH worth? What about LOOKING YOUR BEST? If you’re a savvy shopper, you’ve done your research so you know that most shower filter cartridge options for well or city water only last a few months, then cost a pretty penny to replace. AquaBliss “EASY SWAP” showerhead FILTER replacements last longer cost less - for CLEANER, CLEARER, BEAUTIFYING SHOWER TIME for LESS than .09 cents per day.
- “IT FITS!” - EASIEST NO-TOOL INSTALL: IF YOU can snap together Legos, you can easily remove your old shower filter or chlorine filter and replace it with this in minutes! Because we believe life should be EASY, we ENGINEERED the FITTING so IT WORKS with ALL SHOWER TYPES – including fixed, rain and handheld. No tools required.
- ADVANCED REVITALIZING SF100 VS HEAVY DUTY SF220: CUSTOMERS LOVE both of our AQUABLISS shower head filters. Here’s how to know WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE. If you’re simply looking for a HEAVY DUTY shower filter to target and reduce chemicals, sediment and chlorine – buy our SF220. If you’d love the BONUS BENEFIT of our ceramic beads, to RESTORE HEALTHY, itch free skin, shiny hair and strong nails then you’ll want to add this Advanced revitalizing filter to your cart now.
- 7.7 x 3.8 x 3.7 inches in size
- 15.5 ounces in weight
- Filtration method: 12-stage in-line filtration
- 12,000 gallons of longevity
- 2.5 GPM flow rate
- Chlorine, heavy metals, silt, fungi, scale, mold, and bacteria are all targets for the filter.
- 1 year warranty
Do you need a shower head filter that works with hard water? The AquaBliss SF100 High Output 12-stage Water Shower Filter is the greatest shower head filter for softening hard water, so look no further.
The AquaBliss SF100 showerhead produces extremely soft water with minimal to no debris. This is due to the fact that it removes almost all of the elements using sand filters, calcium sulfite, stainless steel mesh, ceramic balls, micro-porous cotton mesh, activated carbon, and the KDF-55 process.
This enables the AquaBliss SF100 to remove bacteria, fungi, pesticides, lime scales, chlorine, fluorides, heavy metals (such as magnesium, lead, chromium, nickel, and mercury), and other potentially dangerous pollutants.
It is not as effective in removing iron, but it still performs a terrific job. And, regardless of the temperature of your shower water, the AquaBliss is exceptionally successful at shower water softening.
We particularly like how the showerhead filter eliminates the unpleasant odor associated with hard water. Instead, it increases the amount of oxygen in the water and infuses it with additional media such as Vitamin C, tourmaline, and zeolite to provide you with a refreshing bath.
Furthermore, the magnetic energy beads invigorate your skin, hair, and nails (plus prevent other problems with these body parts like dandruff and itchy skin).
We also discovered that, with a flow rate of 2.5 GPM and a water pressure of 100 PSI, this water softener shower head filter features a mechanism for decreasing water waste.
Its low cost also makes it one of the most economical and best shower head water filters available. The filter cartridge has a lifespan of 6 – 8 months or 10,000 – 12,000 gallons of water.
If you are dissatisfied with the product, you can return it within the first 30 days and receive a full refund. That means you can give it a shot for nearly nothing.
- The AquaBliss SF100 filters hard water through various filter materials (12) to convert it to soft water.
- The lightweight filter removes hazardous pollutants from your water while also nourishing dry skin.
- The water softening shower head filter introduces minerals that neutralize odors, regulate water PH levels, provide a relaxing shower, and are beneficial to your skin, hair, and nails.
- The softener shower head is a one-size-fits-all accessory.
- It’s easy to install (even without tools) and keep up with. Simply replace your old showerhead with your new AquaBliss SF100 shower filter.
- It is quite inexpensive.
- It does not include a showerhead.
- It decreases chlorine to some extent, but not completely.
- When it fails, it is tough to fix.
- Some people claimed that it had leaked.
If your water contains heavy chemicals, the AquaBliss SF100 Universal Shower Head Filter is the ideal water softener shower head for hard water.
Shower Head with Water Softener by Pure Action
- HARD WATER FILTER: Our shower head filter removes chlorine, flouride, chloramine and softens well water by filtering up to 99.9% of rust iron, heavy metals, calcium and sediments
- TAKES CARE OF YOUR SHOWER: Our filtered shower head is revitalizing your body and rejuvenates your hair, skin and nails. Reduces dry, itchy skin, dandruff, and eczema
- WATER SAVER SHOWER HEAD: Save water without sacrificing output pressure even at weak or low flow water pressure conditions for hotel spa shower experience
- EASY INSTALLATION: Our showerhead filter comes with 3 settings: rain, power rain, massage. Easily connects to any standard wall-mounted and fixed showers in minutes
- PREMIUM GIFT & BONUSES: Our water softener shower head set includes 2 FREE replacement cartridges + Teflon tape + luxury gift box and 1 YEAR WARRANTY! For replacement filters search B07D99ZB4V. Buy together and get 30% OFF immediately!
- 6.1 ounces
- 3 x 4 x 3 inches
- Chrome, Stainless Steel, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
- 12000 Capacity
- 3 High Pressure Settings: Rain, Power Rain, Massage
Water softeners are well-known for filtering hard water by removing chlorine, heavy metals, iron, and sediments. The removal of all of these components from the water makes it far more suitable for use in the shower.
One of the best features of this device is that, in addition to filtering hard water, it also treats dry and flaky skin, eczema, and dandruff with the water it constantly filters. As a result, your skin is returned to its former brilliance in no time.
Another feature of this device is that it always maintains a steady pressure output. It is also incredibly simple to install and replace, which is another reason for its popularity.
This product knows how to please its clients, since it comes with a luxury gift box. The packaging includes two replacement cartridges, a Teflon tape, and a luxury gift, all of which add to the product’s value.
- Reduces the use of harmful chemicals
- Skin and hair health benefits
- Constant pressure is maintained at all times.
- Simple to install and replace
- It comes with a high-quality gift box.
- Replacements might be pricey.
The Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter with Adjustable Shower Head
- Healthier Skin, Hair & Air - Reduced harmful chemicals means more moisturized skin, healthy shiny hair, and less chlorine in your shower steam
- Premium NSF Certified Filtration Media - Natural coconut shell carbon reduces chlorine, lead, iron and other harsh chemicals, while copper & zinc media enhances your water's PH balance
- Maximum Filtration & Water Pressure - Constructed with a unique up flow design which prevents clogging, increases contact time with media, and maintains water pressure
- Long Lasting & Cost Efficient Filtration - Our filters are some of the longest lasting on the market. Keep your water fresh for 6 months or 10, 000 Gallons and for as little as 25 cents a day
- Simple DIY Installation & Filter Replacement - Easily install showerhead in 4 simple steps. After installation run water for several minutes to flush carbon fines until water is clear. For optimal filtration, replace filters every 6 months
- The dimensions are 8.5 by 7.2 by 3.2 inches.
- One-of-a-kind up-flow design Extremely simple installation
- AquaSorb HX coconut shell carbon effectively removes chlorine and other pollutants.
- Plastic produced a 2.5 GPM flow rate despite its light weight of 2.3 lbs.
- There is no need for batteries.
- Warranty period of one year
This system is a little more expensive, but it makes up for it with some fantastic features. This water softener shower head system, unlike others, has a two-stage filter system (which remove 91 percent of chlorine, as well as many other harmful chemicals). It truly is a one-of-a-kind product in its own right.
The exquisite white Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Water Filter System is another model that has made the cut for this year’s finest water softener shower head.
This plastic showerhead, measuring 8.5 by 7.2 by 3.2 inches and weighing only 2.3 pounds, provides a 2.5 GPM flow rate of clean water that is better than bottled water for showering. This filtration system claims to make your hair softer and shinier, your scalp healthier, and your skin noticeably smoother and more hydrated.
The Aquasana AQ-4100 is equipped with the AquaSorb HX coconut shell carbon filter, which effectively filters chlorine while also improving the smell and taste of your water.
It also uses a KDF copper/zinc oxidation process to further reduce chlorine, eliminate hydrogen sulfides and other organic compounds, and balance the pH of the water.
The Aquasorb HX filters roughly 10,000 gallons before needing to be replaced, which means it can last the average household up to 6 months.
With its characteristic up-flow design, this showerhead stands out from the pack. This design gives the water more time to contact the media before flowing back up and out via the showerhead while maintaining high pressure and not compromising the showerhead height.
For an unrivaled result, the up-flow prevents clogging and media channeling while preserving upper-level filtration. For the ultimate shower experience, select a premium showerhead or a handheld wand and adjust it with any of the various massage settings.
The installation is really simple, involves no tools, and takes less than ten minutes. It comes with a one-year limited warranty and a 90-day money-back guarantee.
- 91 percent reduction in chlorine added to city water – guarantee available
- Perms will stay longer and your hair will be healthier as a result.
- The consumer can easily install it to replace existing fixtures.
- Filtration system with two stages
- More costly than other systems
- The unit may be brittle.
- Once installed, there is a 3-5 second delay in responding to changes in water temperature.
Water Softeners in Showers vs. Whole-House Systems
Whole-house water softening and purification systems can be costly depending on the size of your home. To retain warranties, professional installation is required.
- Installation that is permanent
- The warranty will be supported by a local company.
- Local service is available.
- Commitment to a single softening process
- Purchase, installation, and maintenance costs are too expensive.
- Some softening procedures are restricted depending on where you live.
Furthermore, to remove impurities, most whole-house systems rely on the usage of salts and resins. Some towns, particularly in California, prohibit the use of these devices because they add salt to ground water, contaminating it further.
Water Softeners for Shower Heads
Water softening shower heads are simply installed in place of your current shower installation! These are far less expensive than whole-house systems and are perfect for condominium owners and renters.
- The purchaser’s installation is simple.
- Excellent performance in terms of pollutant protection for your skin and hair.
- Only one shower is protected.
- More frequent filter changes are required, but they are easier to perform.
- Depending on the amount of showers you have, you may need to purchase more than one.
The ease of installation and filter replacement as needed is well worth the investment. The results of protecting yourself against chlorine, scale, and sulfur stink in your shower are equivalent to that of a whole-house system at a fraction of the cost!
Our overall recommendation
So, if you’re seeking for a hard water shower filter, your search ends here. Overall, the Culligan Wall-Mount 10,000 Gallon Capacity Filtered Shower Head is the best option, according to the Water Filter Market and Amazon.com users.
What is a shower water filter?
A shower water filter is a piece of bathroom equipment that reduces and removes heavy metals, pesticides, chlorine, and other contaminants while softening your water. These devices increase the quality of the water you use when showering, lowering the chances of skin irritation.
Shower water filters must also have a number of other features. These units filter water while avoiding undesirable particles from clogging your shower. Furthermore, shower water filters lessen the likelihood of scale formation and soap scum. As a result, maintaining and cleaning your handheld or fixed showerheads will be a breeze.
Another thing to keep in mind about shower water filters is that they must be changed on a regular basis. Some filters have a lifespan of up to 8 months and can filter up to 20,000 gallons of water. However, it is entirely dependent on your water use and the level of hard water in your home.
Different shower filter types
When you consider how many water filters are available on the market, selecting the finest one can appear to be a difficult process because simply filtering through them can be time-consuming. This is why we decided to produce a buying guide to assist you in making your choice. In the section that follows, we will discuss the many types of shower filters, how they operate, and why you should use one in your home.
Shower filters are classified into three types based on their design.
Filters for showerheads
These types look and function similarly to standard showerheads, albeit a little thicker at times. Despite their unassuming appearance, these models will filter out dangerous particles in your water and usually give adequate water pressure.
Shower filters in-line
Showerheads are not included with the in-line shower filters. These types can be installed between your current showerhead and the waterline. One of the benefits of using these models is that you may use your existing showerhead and yet benefit from the alternatives they provide. Using these units is also less noticeable, and it will have less of an impact on the appearance of your bathroom.
Showerhead and in-line filters
These are the largest models in the collection. The in-line unit must be connected directly to your water line, and the showerhead must be attached to it. The filter cartridge is normally incorporated in the in-line device, and the purpose of the showerhead is to adjust the water pressure. Fortunately, certain filter models can somewhat boost the water pressure in the shower, so you may not detect any difference when using them.
Shower filter types based on the capacity of their filtration cartridges
Now that we’ve established how useful shower head filters may be, it’s time to classify them. This is vital since each serves a particular purpose, and as a user, you must choose one that is compatible with your shower head. So, before making a decision, make sure you consider each of the following sorts.
The KDF filters
Kinetic Degradation Fluxion (KDF) filters are a form of shower filter that uses a mix of zinc and copper to extract all impurities from the water you supply. It accomplishes this by employing a fundamental chemical mechanism known as redox, which allows it to remove a wide range of chemicals such as chlorine, mercury, lead, and so on.
KDF’s redox process allows it to exchange electrons throughout water, converting pollutants into inert molecules. This technology works well in high pressure and high temperature environments. As a result, it is perfect for shower heads. Aside from that, it is also utilized in larger applications for large scale filtering, where it is integrated with other technologies.
Filters for Vitamin C
Vitamin C filters, unlike any other filtration technology, are specifically created for shower heads. Because vitamin C is one of the most important micronutrients for skin health, including it not only protects against pollutants but also gives additional nourishment.
In terms of pollutant removal, Vitamin C filters excel in chloramine removal. To put this in context, they remove 99 percent of chloramine from water, compared to 75-80 percent in other water filtration systems. As a result, filters are generally more expensive, both initially and when refilling the cartridge.
Carbon filtration is currently the most popular water filtering process. In fact, it is used in many drinking water filters. As a result, its purification is one area where other filters fall short. Furthermore, carbon filters are on the lower end of the price spectrum.
It works by utilizing the absorption phenomenon. To put it another way, activated carbons in carbon filters ensure that impurities are retained within the porous structure that comes with it. Think of it as a dirt magnet. It is an excellent method for dealing with hard water, although it has the disadvantage of being relatively inefficient at high temperatures.
Why should you use a showerhead filter?
Filters, in general, are valuable tools at home, which is why many people have them put in their kitchen, bathroom, and anywhere else there is a water source—a whole house water filter, to be specific. However, such a filter can be expensive.
A shower head filter, on the other hand, allows you to enjoy clean and soft water without breaking the bank. Why not do the same for your shower if you already have a filter in the kitchen that can give you with safe drinking water?
A water softening shower head is an excellent choice, especially if you are hesitant to invest in a full-house system.
If you rent or cannot afford a full-house system, consider purchasing one of these units as an alternative. They will improve the feel of your skin, make your hair more manageable, and give you a cleaner physique. This is also a significant benefit when bathing children and newborns.
What’s in your shower water?
There is hard water, chlorine, and stench practically everywhere in the United States, and softening water results in cleaner bodies with less allergic reactions.
There are numerous misconceptions and realities concerning shower water. Shower water that has not been filtered may contain a variety of chemicals, debris, bacteria, viruses, and fungi. The water will also be high in minerals, particularly calcium and magnesium, which are responsible for lime production. Traces of various medications have been identified in water in some circumstances.
Chlorine is used to destroy the most harmful bacteria in water, and it does so flawlessly. The killing capabilities of chlorine, on the other hand, will impact your skin, particularly the germs that naturally grow on our skin. Our skin is vulnerable to infections if it lacks microorganisms.
Because magnesium and calcium are not sensitive to chlorination, they are naturally present in the water and are not eliminated during the municipal filtering process. The levels of calcium and magnesium in water vary by town and city, but if you have lime buildups in your bathroom, you can be certain that your water contains them.
Despite the fact that chlorine in water kills most bacteria and viruses, some may reach the water source after the municipal filtration process and end up in your water.
Some medications, particularly insecticides and herbicides, can end up in your water supply. These compounds were formerly utilized to boost national crop production, and they have subsequently been seeping through the earth. They have already touched groundwater in some locations, and will do so in others in the future.
The nonprofit Natural Resource Defense Council conducted research that show contamination levels in 19 of our country’s largest cities surpass the EPA’s declared threshold for pollutants. Even if water is pure at its source, its passage through water distribution networks might introduce impurities.
So, what are you going to do about it?
With these water softening shower heads, you can be confident that clean water is coming out of your pipes, and clean water usually means an odor-free stream. With the goods we’ve reviewed on this page, you’ll be able to spend more time relaxing in the shower. We chose the best models for this study, so you can be confident that top-tier brands are featured in the list below.
In a nutshell, you have the option of installing a whole-house water softener (or filter) system OR installing a shower head water softener or filter.
What is the purpose of a shower head filter for hard water?
Showerhead filters, like any other filter system, contain numerous stages of filtration to remove water pollutants.
To begin with, there are multi-level carbon filters that feature an activated carbon filter that will remove chlorine, chloramines, and even VOCs from your water.
There are also KDF Filters. They are composed of copper and zinc. These two generate an electrical-chemical charge that can influence the chemical structures of many elements in your water, such as chlorine and heavy metals. As a result, they are removed in the process. It should be noted that KDF Filters can also be used in conjunction with activated carbon or carbon block filters.
Vitamin C filters, on the other hand, are well-known for their effectiveness in treating chlorinated water, which can contain up to 99 percent chlorine. Furthermore, they can filter out small amounts of sediments and chloramines.
Is it really necessary to use a showerhead water filter?
The answer is no if you use a whole-house water filter. If you don’t have a whole-house water filtering system, you should get one for your shower.
Municipal water is frequently dirtier and less healthy than appears. Consider this: when was the last time your municipality shut down all traffic to remove and replace aging pipes in the municipal water system? You’ve probably never seen it done before. This is due to the fact that most towns and cities do not do it. They just replace the leaky and malfunctioning pipes when they fail, and they leave the rest alone until they fail as well.
You’re probably wondering what the municipal water line has to do with your shower water. As it turns out, the age of the water system pipes can have a significant impact on the quality of your shower water.
One thing you should be aware of is that many, if not the majority, of the water systems were built at a time when lead was not deemed toxic. In reality, lead was deemed a safe and practical alternative for water pipes because it is inexpensive and did not rust. As a result, rather than employing steel or other materials, many towns and cities chose lead for their water systems. As you might expect, lead is quite strong, but it is far from indestructible. That means that a trace amount of lead will eventually wind up in your drinking water. How does showering with lead-contaminated water sound? Isn’t it unattractive?
Another reason to install a shower head filter is to improve the quality of the water you receive. As previously stated, no water pipe is indestructible. When minor fissures form, the water loss may be too modest for the municipality to repair. However, all of the dirt around the pipe might enter the water supply and end up in your home. And it only gets worse. When lead pipes leaked in the past, they were repaired using iron patches. Iron patches, indeed. Because iron rusts, the rust may end up in your water.
Last but not least, the problem could be caused by your own plumbing rather than the municipality’s water line. Now, if your house was built in the 1980s, the plumbing was most likely installed in the 1980s as well, and no one bothered to change it because it is expensive. Your water pipes may have corroded by now, and all of that rust is now in your water supply.
Shower water filter systems have 5 advantages
Here are a few of the many advantages of shower head water filters:
Reduces the amount of chlorine in the water
For decades, chlorine has been used to treat water all around the world. Recent research suggests that chlorination may not completely remove disinfection chemicals and that the human body is more prone to absorb such disinfectants after a shower than when drinking water. Furthermore, the chlorine in your shower water can deplete the natural oils in your skin and hair, making them appear weak and unhealthy. In fact, when chlorine dries, it dulls the color of your hair and can even create skin problems.
It softens the water
Typically, the water is hard. Washing with harsh water will cause your skin to dry out and your hair to weaken. Shower water filters soften the water, making it safer to drink. Washing your hair and skin with gentle water will improve their appearance. To discover more, see our blog post on hard water and soft water facts.
Bacteria and viruses are inhibited
Do you aware that your shower has the potential to kill you? A shower filter will prevent the majority of viruses and germs in the water from entering your body. The showerhead itself can occasionally serve as an ideal growing ground for bacteria. Bacteria may thrive in the showerhead because it is warm and damp. The use of a shower head filter will destroy the germs before they proliferate.
Reduces the use of hazardous chemicals
Certain contaminants may eventually make their way into your drinking water. Pesticides, herbicides, and various medications are routinely present in water and can be extremely detrimental to your health.
Children are more vulnerable than adults to developing a disease induced by inhaling chlorine fumes. Chlorinated showers raise a child’s risk of acquiring asthma and allergies.
Shower water filters: Do they work for hard water?
We need to explain a few facts before we can answer this question. It is critical to comprehend why hard water might be a problem and what a shower water filter can do to help.
Hard water includes a high level of mineral deposits, which causes a number of concerns with showering and your health:
- It can cause skin irritation and dryness by altering the pH balance of your skin.
- Hard water can cause your hair to become dry and brittle.
- It can impair your shower experience since soap reacts with hard water to generate scum rather than lather.
- It is a high-end product that might clog your plumbing and leave white stains on your bathroom’s glassware and tiles.
As a result, a water shower filter can assist you with these issues. One of the unit’s key functions is to soften the water you use in the shower. This means that the water filter will significantly lower the levels of calcium and magnesium, the two main mineral elements found in hard water.
As a result, the water from your shower will be softer and hence safer for you and your family. Here’s a quick rundown of what a water filter can do for you and the hard water in your home.
- Shower water that has been filtered will not leave any white stains in your bathroom. As a result, you will save all of the scale rubbing off the tiles, tubs, faucet, and so on.
- There is no more soap scum, simply a plethora of soapy bubbles.
- After a few showers, you will notice an improvement in your pH balance. Your skin’s natural moisture will not be depleted.
- Water shower filters will eliminate the need to purchase new showerheads. This is due to the fact that filtered water prevents clogging and thereby stopping the spray water.
Do shower heads with water softeners soften the water?
Yes, they do, albeit the performance of each model varies depending on the intricacy of the softening system.
Typically, these packs include a few ounces of resin beads (that are responsible for trapping calcium and magnesium ions). That is to say, their performance cannot be compared to that of full water softening systems with a tank full of resins.
Overall, the greatest shower heads soften the water like a charm, making it more bearable and improving your overall experience after the shower. This is because it eliminates chlorine and other impurities from the water, making it gentler on your skin and hair and easier to lather and rinse. You’re even using less soap.
What are some other methods to soften the water?
Water softeners using sodium
Because they are both efficient and cost-effective, sodium water softeners are the most common shower water filters. They are, however, not the greatest.
In a process known as ion exchange, sodium water softeners soften hard water by replacing high quantities of calcium and magnesium with sodium chloride. This is an excellent whole-house water softening treatment.
Sodium water softeners are effective in removing salts from the entire household water supply. They are incredibly inexpensive and have low maintenance and operating costs.
This approach, however, may not be suitable for persons on a low-sodium diet because it tastes a little salty. You may need to change the salts manually and on a regular basis.
Reverse osmosis filtering
This technique, also known as hyperfiltration, removes both mineral deposits and exchanged sodium to provide exceptionally pure tap water.
The reverse osmosis system is one of the most effective water treatment systems that any household may utilize to obtain soft water. It purifies water by eliminating practically all of its components (unwanted molecules) as it passes it through several filter mediums.
Water is filtered in three steps by reverse osmosis filtration systems.
- It first filters the water to remove big particles like scale, silt, salts (calcium and magnesium ions), and rust. The water gets softened as a result of this. You might be able to find models that employ activated carbon to eliminate chlorine.
- The water next flows through a second filtration media with very small pores to filter out the smallest pollutants. This is referred to as the membrane.
- The water then moves on to the final step of filtration, where it is passed through an activated carbon filter to remove the organic compounds that cause unpleasant taste and odor.
- The benefits of adopting reverse osmosis filtration systems include their efficiency in lowering salts and dissolved metals, as well as foul odors and taste, pathogens, and dangerous pollutants.
They don’t take up much space and are simple to maintain.
On the other hand, they are less effective at eliminating chlorine, pesticides, herbicides, and other dissolved pollutants: but, if yours contains a carbon filter, it can handle these compounds.
The hyperfiltration process eliminates both good and toxic minerals from water. It also wastes a lot of water during the filtering process, wasting up to 5 gallons of water each gallon of filtered water.
Magnetic water conditioners are ideal if your water source is not too hard, as they are not water softeners.
When you attach a magnetic conditioner to your waterline, it softens hard water by passing it through a magnetic field, which alters the behavior of the pollutants and salts in the water.
When this happens, the molecules no longer bind together or attach to the pipes and equipment in your home. They will, however, remain in the water and will freely run down the drain.
However, if your water is extremely hard, the magnetic field produced by the magnetic conditioners will be insufficient to alter the behavior of these elements.
So, while they aren’t technically water softeners, they can help to mitigate the effects of hard water. They also do not remove calcium and magnesium from our water, despite the fact that our bodies require them.
They are also tiny, like the reverse osmosis filtration system, take up little room, and are simple to install. Magnetic water conditioners also have the advantage of not requiring energy or chemicals. They are also simple to maintain.
The disadvantage in this case is that they do not filter or eliminate toxins from your water. They’re also inefficient when working with really hard water.
Water softeners that do not use salt
When connected to the main waterline, salt-free water softeners generate a variety of frequencies.
As water flows through the softener, these frequencies alter the molecular structures of calcium and magnesium. When this occurs, the minerals will not link together to generate scale buildup. As a result, the water will flow more easily and you will not need to use as much soap when showering.
Although it operates similarly to magnetic water softeners, it does not require chemicals or electricity to function. They use less space and produce less garbage.
Salt-free water softeners are a realistic solution for entire households and are beneficial to persons on a low-sodium diet.
Unfortunately, they do not remove any impurities from the water and might be costly at times.
Buyer’s guide for water softener shower heads
The sort of water softening showerhead you purchase will be determined by your style, budget, and shower proportions. Let’s have a look at some pointers to assist you get the best water softener shower head.
Showerhead filters and in-line filters
These are showerheads that filter out minerals and other impurities while maintaining a high level of pressure. They do not alter the appearance of your bathroom because they resemble ordinary showerheads.
These versions contain filter cartridges in their in-line units, and the pressure is controlled by their showerheads. They are typically huge, like as the Aquasana AQ-4100, and can have an impact on the appearance of your bathroom.
This is a luxuries feature that is not required for the showerhead to perform properly. However, because it would limit your shower experience, we believe it is a feature worth considering. Some low-cost models just have a single spray pattern. There’s nothing wrong with this, however many people would like a shower head with multiple settings. Some of the ones we tried had between three and six distinct spray settings, including rain, massage, power rain, and even water-saving options.
Does it add to your water?
While all of these showerheads eliminate harmful substances from your water, some of them go a step further by reintroducing substances into your shower water. Depending on your point of view, this can be viewed as an advantage or a disadvantage. Some showerheads have fortifying filter cartridges, which supply vitamins to your water while filtering out undesirable minerals. This is a creative concept that we enjoyed, albeit it can be carried too far in practice.
Some businesses have chosen to add more than simply vitamins to their water. We tested a shower head that infused the water with a citrus aroma, but it didn’t perform as effectively as the vitamin fortification. Many of our testers didn’t enjoy the smell, although others did. Because smell is subjective, this will always be a matter of personal preference. We don’t recommend buying a product containing such ingredients because there’s no way to know if you’ll like it or not.
What exactly does it filter?
The majority of these devices are water conditioners that filter out the minerals that cause hard water and scale formation. The better ones, on the other hand, will filter out much more than just minerals. Some of our favorites would also get rid of chlorine, iron, heavy metals, fluoride, chloramines, silt, and other contaminants. This is especially beneficial if your water has already been highly treated and has high amounts of chlorine or other pollutants.
Levels of filtration
Larger particles such as pebbles or sand can also be removed by some shower filters. This is advantageous because filters help to increase the life of your showerhead and hardware. You may drastically reduce your bathroom bills by removing solids that could scrape, scratch, clog, or deteriorate your plumbing.
However, some pollutants are finer particles that are completely dissolved in water. Chlorine, fluorine, and calcites are examples of them. If you get your water from a borehole, well, lake, spring, or other untreated underground source, make sure your filter can sieve out these dissolved pollutants.
Filters, in addition to safeguarding the technical components of your showerhead and pipework, make everyday maintenance easier. Dirt, dust, and limescale are kept out of the showerhead itself. Softer water also implies fewer soap scum. This makes your daily and weekly cleaning tasks easier.
Periods of filtration
Water softener shower heads are not indestructible. Depending on the model, you must replace the filter on a regular basis. Some filters can handle up to 20,000 gallons of water. Others are measured in terms of duration and can last up to 8 months before needing to be replaced.
Longer-lasting filters are often more expensive. You’ll have to compare the cost versus the length of the filtration process. Would you rather get a less expensive one that you will have to replace frequently? Is it better to spend more money on something that will last longer? Make sure you do the math correctly.
After all, replacing a $20 filter six times a year is still less expensive than purchasing a $600 filter with a warranty of a year or two. Also, the harder your water is and the larger your household, the busier your shower will be and the more frequently you will have to replace it, so keep that in mind.
Methods of filtration
While most filters are designed to remove dissolved pollutants and salts, some high-tech water softening showerheads can also trap microorganisms. This type of filter protects you from viruses, bacteria, and other organisms found in water. This is sometimes determined by the filtration media utilized.
Carbon, Vitamin C, or KDF are three common types of filters (Kinetic Degradation Fluxion). The latter operates via redox (reducing / oxidizing). It exchanges electrons with potentially hazardous substances such as chlorine, lead, iron, or mercury, thereby ‘reducing’ them to their safer components.
KDF is a pure zinc and copper mixture that is excellent against hydrogen sulfide and other impurities. It also has a minor antimicrobial action on algae, fungi, and bacteria, making it a weak disinfectant. It complies with EPA and FDA safety regulations for both residential and commercial use.
Style and quality
Attaching a water softener shower head to the shower arm is the most typical method of installation. This allows water to pass through it before reaching your showerhead. This means you should choose a softener that complements the decor and theme of your bathroom. You want your décor to coordinate.
Plastic filters are inexpensive and come in a variety of colors and designs, including metallic paint. This makes it simple to match them to your decorative selections. However, plastic does not endure very long. A metal filter must be watertight, rustproof, and corrosion-proof if you choose it.
It must also be compatible with your faucets. If your showerhead and fixtures are blackened brass or oiled bronze, for example, a chrome filter will look out of place. You should also look for a filter that is simple to clean and does not reveal dirt or watermarks. After all, you rarely wipe that high, so keeping it clean is advantageous.
Dimensions and fit
Adjustable showerheads provide greater space, making it easier to install a filter. If your shower arm is on the shorter side, you may require a filter that twists into position tightly. However, while some filters are universally sized to fit all types of shower heads, others are more personalized, so always double-check.
Shower water pressure should also be considered. Some filters can only function within a certain pressure range. Others are more adaptable, but they do have an effect on the pressure of your shower water, slightly slowing it down due to the time delay. If possible, try out the filter or watch demos.
If your showerhead doesn’t have standard-sized threads, or if it has a larger (or smaller) faceplate, check with the sales team to be sure it’ll work with your filter. It’s also a good idea to double-check the temperature settings. Some filters do not perform as effectively in hot water.
When it comes to selecting a high-quality water shower filter, price is an important consideration. The higher the price of a unit, the better the protection for your hair and skin. There are, however, moderately cost items that will undoubtedly filter up to your water fairly well. In any case, there are water shower filters to fit any budget.
We feel that your comfort should be our first focus. If you discover your goods to be too big or bulky for you and your needs, do not purchase it. Also, if there are children or elderly people in the bathroom, it will be difficult for them to lift and operate a shower water filter weighing a ton.
The shower water filter’s lifespan varies depending on the manufacturer. You should, however, look for a cartridge that is appropriate for your home and demands. Check out the list below to make sure you get the proper one:
- It has a capacity of at least 10,000 gallons of water.The number of persons in your household – how frequently each of them showers. After all, if you use your filter frequently, you’ll need to replace the cartridge at least twice a year.
- The hard water issue – the higher the mineral concentration of your water, the sooner your cartridge will run out.
The best water softener shower head can help you start your day off right with a clean and refreshing shower and keep your skin and hair feeling great all day.
The primary benefit of a shower-specific water softener is that it is significantly less expensive to purchase and install than a whole-house water softening system. However, keep in mind that these units can be expensive, especially if you need to buy a shower head for multiple showers.
Is a water softener shower head cost-effective?
When compared to the initial cost of a whole-house water filtering system, a shower water softener is far less expensive. It is also far less expensive to install because it does not need to be piped in. It will also not necessitate professional installation.
These units, however, have an obvious flaw: they only cover your showerhead while leaving your pipes, faucets, and appliances, including your washing machine, vulnerable to hard water.
So, unless you are purchasing the showerhead for temporary usage, such as in a hostel, installing a whole-house water softening system is the most cost-effective solution.
Do water softener shower heads have an impact on water pressure?
This is determined by the model. The best water softener shower heads are designed with this in mind, with flow rates of 2.5 gallons per minute, which is the legally mandated rate for showers.
A machine rated at 2.0 gallons per minute isn’t too bad either, and you won’t notice much of a difference. Anything less than this, on the other hand, can have a significant impact on your showering experience, especially if you reside in a region with extremely hard water.
When should a new filter be installed?
If you open your handheld showerhead and see that your filter is much darker than it was when you originally placed it, it is time to replace it. Generally, every four months is a good time to start thinking about changing your filter. If you are the only person who uses the restroom, you should change the filter every 4 to 6 months. Households of two or fewer individuals should inspect the water shower filter more frequently – every 16 weeks. Finally, if there are more than two individuals in the house, the gallons of used water will be significantly higher. As a result, inspecting your filter every eight weeks is a smart idea
Is a shower water filter beneficial to my dry hair and scalp?
Yes, it will help in some ways. Filtered shower water protects your scalp and hair from pollutants and hard water. Furthermore, the concentration of chlorine will be significantly reduced, resulting in a healthier head, scalp, and hair
Will the shower filter get rid of the copper in my water?
The water filter will do its job and remove some of the copper from your water, but it will not eliminate it completely.
Will the water filter cause a drop in water pressure?
Water filters will not reduce pressure, but if your usual water pressure is low, they may slow it down slightly.
Do shower filters include a cartridge?
They do, indeed. Some models include an extra cartridge for your convenience.
Do shower water filters get rid of odors?
Yes, certain water shower filters are made to accomplish just that. You should double-check the manufacturer’s descriptions.
If you click on the Amazon link or Add to Cart and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Last Update: 2021-09-26